Conn 5G mouthpiece

Dsohunter

Conn 5G mouthpiece

Post by Dsohunter »

Hello,

I’m hoping someone in the board can help me out as my searching has not found a definitive answer.

Is the Conn 5G mouthpiece that ships with the 88H the same spec as a Bach 5G. If not, what are the differences?

Thanks!
Bonearzt

Re: Conn 5G mouthpiece

Post by Bonearzt »

Probably VERY similar! Especially knowing the consistency of Bachs inconsistencies!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

I'm guessing that the shank is Conn-specific.
Onward and Upward
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Conn, UMI, and CKB mouthpieces seem (at least the few I own) to be just a little larger than their Bach equivalents. Not enough to be terribly concerned about as a beginner but enough that if you like it you won't like a Bach and vice versa.

My Conn 7C that came with my alto has a different shank from the standard and thus a Bach 7C doesn't work as well in my alto as the Conn 7C.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Conn100HGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am I'm guessing that the shank is Conn-specific.
If you mean a Remington shank, I do not believe those have been used as standard by Conn for years. If I recall correctly, you can get a leadpipe that is specifically for Remington shanks, but by and large Conn uses a Morse taper.
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

This is a new Conn 88HO, it’s definitely not the Remington shank. I was playing on a Yamaha 48 and when I got this horn, I tried the included 5G and found it much more comfortable and my tone was significantly better.

Fast forward and now I’m looking for “more better”. I tried a Bach 4g and I really like the tone I’m getting with that, though oddly struggle with middle register with it.

I was mostly curious if I was jumping from a true 5G to a 4G and trying to understand what was (and wasn’t) working with the change.
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am Conn, UMI, and CKB mouthpieces seem (at least the few I own) to be just a little larger than their Bach equivalents. Not enough to be terribly concerned about as a beginner but enough that if you like it you won't like a Bach and vice versa.

My Conn 7C that came with my alto has a different shank from the standard and thus a Bach 7C doesn't work as well in my alto as the Conn 7C.

I do notice that the throat seems a little larger on the Conn vs the 4G. It could just be perception due to the deeper cup. But it certainly seems so.
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

So, I contacted Conn directly and was informed that henceforth, 88s will ship with Bach 5Gs. She was confused that I actually had a “Conn 5g” and couldn’t give me any technical specifications. The mystery continues.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

I have a love hate relationship with my Conn 5G but it would be nice to know the technical specifications as it's always good to have a backup. I would guess that BGuttman hit the nail on the head and that it's an slightly larger (somehow) Bach 5G.

I do see them for sale from time to time but I'm guessing from my 3 Schilke 60's that any other Conn 5G I get will be a little different.

I do have a Denis Wick Heritage 5ABL that I got because the write-up and specs seemed in line with my horn, the music/position I play and close to a Conn 5G. It plays a lot different and I do not like it. May be I need to play on it for a few months straight to get use to it.

I really should just stick with the Conn 5G as the only advantage is that I can play louder (which I have no need for) and it's easier to play in the lower Valve range but I lose out everywhere else.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I got a Conn 5G with a new 88H recently. It seemed just a tad smaller than the Schilke 51 and Bach 5G I had been playing.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Remember that (as many of us have learned from experience) not all Bach 5G mouthpieces are made the same; in fact there may be significant variation within this small family over the years.

That being said, I do not have a Conn 5G mouthpiece, but I have a CKB 5G and a King 5G, both identical and both made recently made (within the last 10 years). They each have a somewhat larger cup than my Bach 5G, and a much larger throat (7.40 mm diameter, vs the Bach's 7.00mm - all carefully measured).
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

MahlerMusic wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:00 pm

I do have a Denis Wick Heritage 5ABL that I got because the write-up and specs seemed in line with my horn, the music/position I play and close to a Conn 5G. It plays a lot different and I do not like it. May be I need to play on it for a few months straight to get use to it
I had the exact same experience with a Denis Wick, I found it extremely uncomfortable and it made everything harder with no perceivable improvement to any aspect of my playing.

I’m getting a very notable tone quality improvement with a 4g but I have to move the embouchure around a bit depending on where I’m playing so I’m not sure it’s the right fit. I wish the Conn was a little bigger or the 4g was a touch smaller.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

I think it's great that we live in an age where (if we had the money) we can order/buy so many variations of mouthpieces. Back in the day I guess it was keep practicing and/or modify it yourself.

We seem (at least myself) to be chasing the pass even though we have it so much better now. I only looked at Denis Wick because of the legend and the fact that I play an 8H. I 100% hate the regular DW but the Heritage is just so damn pretty.
30hzbone

Post by 30hzbone »

Bach 42B corporation 1980
Getzen 3062AF + R
Besson Sovereign baritone horn
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

Nice, the round and sharp rim was not what I thought it was.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I have a Conn 5G up in the classifieds if anyone wants one.
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

So, I ended up contacting Griego for a consult and they gave me some great advice. They recommended a Griego-Alessi 7D and really like it. Better tone, slots amazingly well, and takes less effort all around to get the sound in my head through the horn. The rim is a touch bigger than my 5G and for me it's a very comfortable fit.

I bought one skeptically due to the price, but I'll be keeping it. I've tried quite a few and they really have something special here.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

Some many options with Griego. I feel like I would need a day to narrow it down and they a couple weeks playing on a couple before I could pick.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Griego FTW.

Return to “Mouthpieces”