Looking for a new mouthpiece.

Brandoogie

Looking for a new mouthpiece.

Post by Brandoogie »

Hello, My name is Brandon and I am looking for a new mouthpiece for my Bach 42b. Currently, I am using a 5G, which is the same mouthpiece I have been using for the past 8 years since I started playing.

When I got Bach 42b it also came with a Bach 3g mouthpiece which I liked playing on, but both I and my teacher thought it was a bit big which is why I was wanting to ask about mouthpieces in between the 3G and 5G.

So far I have looked into the Bach 4G, Denis Wich 4AL, and the Schilke 52E2. I was wanting to ask for some more suggestions, or if you have any insight about the mouthpieces I listed.

Thank you,
Brandon.
pompatus

Re: Looking for a new mouthpiece.

Post by pompatus »

In what way is the 5G failing you? What is it that you’re trying to find in a new mouthpiece?
Brandoogie

Post by Brandoogie »

pompatus wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:59 pm In what way is the 5G failing you? What is it that you’re trying to find in a new mouthpiece?
Personally, I feel that my low range is a little lacking. I also don't like the way I sound when I play with it, but I don't know if a different mouthpiece would affect my sound all that much. For context, I am a senior so my knowledge about mouthpieces is very slim and most of my information comes from my director.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I find the Wick 4AL to be a bit of an air hog. I prefer the Wick 4BL. You could also look into the 4.5AL.

Before I played the 4BL I played a Bach 4G. I found the Wick to have a better sound (whatever that is).

You could also look at the Hammond 11 series (the letters after the number indicate the depth). Seems lots of Corps players like the ML. I found it a bit too shallow.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've gone through 3 4ALs... I find the sound to be pretty dry, not enough warmth or presence. The 3AL sounds better but is stupidly hard to play on a .547.

A 4G would be a good starting place, especially since it's cheaper than most other things in that size.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Brandoogie

Post by Brandoogie »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm I find the Wick 4AL to be a bit of an air hog. I prefer the Wick 4BL. You could also look into the 4.5AL.

Before I played the 4BL I played a Bach 4G. I found the Wick to have a better sound (whatever that is).

You could also look at the Hammond 11 series (the letters after the number indicate the depth). Seems lots of Corps players like the ML. I found it a bit too shallow.
I'll be sure to look into those. Thanks for the reply.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Couple of other suggestions:

Warburton 7 or 8 cup. You'd need a backbore; probably a large bore 2 or 3.

Marcinkiewicz. They used to say the 8H is that size but I found it felt way smaller. I would think a 6 cup is more appropriate.

Stork 4.

I would avoid "heavytop" mouthpieces (like the Bach Megatone). They tend to need a lot more air than standard weight blanks. If you are a real wind machine you can get more sound, but for most mortals they are a bit much.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Stork 4 has a light and heavy blank and can be found new at Dillon's for around $60 last I checked. If it's a Bach 4g you're looking for try the Faxx equivalent - I think they're still around $45. And if you want a 4g rim with a shallower cup, I have a Warburton 4gs for sale.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

When I was in high school, I played first a Remington, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that, then a 5g, which is good, and eventually a Schilke 51 or 52. Then in college, I experimented with a 4g and wound up on the 52e2. To start playing those sizes, you have to be doing a lot of playing, and have pretty strong chops.

Without knowing anything at all about you, I'd recommend a Schilke 51 or 52 to try.

Don't look at mouthpieces as something to outgrow every year. Find something that works and stick with it.
Brandoogie

Post by Brandoogie »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:37 pm When I was in high school, I played first a Remington, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that, then a 5g, which is good, and eventually a Schilke 51 or 52. Then in college, I experimented with a 4g and wound up on the 52e2. To start playing those sizes, you have to be doing a lot of playing, and have pretty strong chops.

Without knowing anything at all about you, I'd recommend a Schilke 51 or 52 to try.

Don't look at mouthpieces as something to outgrow every year. Find something that works and stick with it.
Thanks for the advice. I plan on finding a mouthpiece that really suits me and sticking with it.
Brandoogie

Post by Brandoogie »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:37 pm When I was in high school, I played first a Remington, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that, then a 5g, which is good, and eventually a Schilke 51 or 52. Then in college, I experimented with a 4g and wound up on the 52e2. To start playing those sizes, you have to be doing a lot of playing, and have pretty strong chops.

What would the Schilkes be similar too? I hate to bug you, but I just want to be sure before I order something.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Try to find something used. Or go to a shop (or a local pro) who has a bunch. The 51 plays like a 5 g but bigger, is all I remember about it. A lot of people tend to complain about the 51d, so you might avoid that one. Dillons sells used mouthpieces (they have a couple of used 4G mouthpieces for under $50).

https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/tromb ... 5B%5D=6824

You'll get used to certain rims (flat/rounded, narrow/wide), and come to like or dislike certain aspects of certain pieces. The 51 is probably going to be a little more work than the 5g, and less than the 3g. Also less work than the 52e2.

I've never used them, but you might also check the Schilke Symphony line. Dillon has a used D5.1*. I would personally avoid the ones with the *, as they are wider open, and a little more risky. Depending on (a lot of things) you may do better with more open or more resistance. I personally prefer resistance somewhere in the middle.

Be a little skeptical when people start describing mouthpieces with subjective words. You have to have some sort of frame of reference for any of that to mean anything. Don't be seduced by something that sounds good in specs, because it's all bs until you've played it. You should really only be listening to your teacher about mouthpiece selection. Don't listen to random people on the internet (like me) who have never heard/seen you play. We can only give you very general advice that may or may not be worth anything. And as you've seen already everyone will have a different opinion, and some opinions will cost you hundreds of dollars to learn about.

I haven't used any of these for (decades - am I really that old?), I tend to use Doug Elliot on tenor to fit rim to face first, then cup and shank to playing style and horn. On bass, I do use a Bach 1 1/4g most of the time, just because it's the most comfortable I've got and it plays the high and low notes. Nothing is perfect. Don't get caught up in the search for the perfect mouthpiece. You usually just wind up pretty close to where you started, but you've spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of practice time.

Best of luck.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Can anyone compare the rim on a Hammond with a similar-sized Schilke?
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Good 4G-sized mouthpieces that I have played include Bach 4G, Marcinkiewicz 4, Stork 4, and Hammond 11ML.
Last edited by greenbean on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm Can anyone compare the rim on a Hammond with a similar-sized Schilke?
Hammond 12 = Schilke 51
Hammond 11 = Schilke 52

IMO...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Hammond is a little flatter than a Schilke or Bach, but not as flat as a Denis Wick.

Warburton is similar to Bach.

Never played a Stork or Laskey (59 is he size to check out).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thx Bruce. That was the info I was looking for.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Laskey 59MD if you can find one.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Brandoogie

Post by Brandoogie »

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I decided to try some of the Denis wich mouthpieces mainly because I am interested in playing mouthpieces made by different companies.

I am using a website called mouthpiece express so I am able to take a 15 day audition period to test it out and if I don't like it I can return it. I wish there was a store I was able to test mouthpieces out, but where I'm at in Alabama we don't really have anything like that.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Try a Marcinkiewicz 5GW BS. I switched to one of these and it has been fantastic
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Mouthpieces”