Double category question

bigbandbone

Double category question

Post by bigbandbone »

Wasn't sure if I should put this in mouthpieces or repair/modification!

I'm trying to find a mouthpiece that works best with my .525 bore 50H will covering the 4th/bass bone book in a big band. And that also works with my chops! So far I've tried a Blessing 12C (came with it), a Conn 6 1/2 AL, and a Bach 5GS. They all seem to have a compromise for me. But the 6 1/2 AL gives me the more centered and focused sound that I prefer but leaves trigger F, E, Eb, & D a little stuffy.

If I drill it out one drill size and campher the leading edge will it open up the trigger range without loosing the centered tone I favor?

Inquiring minds want to know!
BGuttman

Re: Double category question

Post by BGuttman »

If you drill out the bore one drill size, even if you chamfer the sharp edges you create, you may not make things better and in fact may ruin the mouthpiece. You need a Tech who is mouthpiece savvy to do the modification (and you still can be burned).

I suspect you will eventually find that the 6.5 AL will become a bit small and if you were to work with it the 5GS may turn out to be good. There are other mouthpieces in this range that may be a good test. A Bach 5, Wick 5BS, Wick 6BS, Yamaha 48, Yamaha 51, and maybe even others. They often show up used on our Classifieds from time to time for not much money.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Doug Elliott can probably steer you in the right direction.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The 6.5 is the sweet spot for 525 bore, generally. You need a deeper cup, not a bigger throat.

I get nice-ish low range on my 525 with Doug Elliott 104G4. I think there's a bigger 5 shank you can get, but you're kind of in the weeds with something configured way.

You can dial it in with Doug. Literally. A phone call with him would probably get you right where you need to be.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

bigbandbone wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 pm Wasn't sure if I should put this in mouthpieces or repair/modification!
Most people use the 'hamburger' icon on the top left and then sort by 'Unread posts'. So the category is only loosely useful for later searching and whatnot. Mouthpieces is perfectly fine for this; as you've discovered there's some overlap between them and anyone actually searching for this would find it rather easily either way! (Sidenote: assuming the search function is working for you... looking into it now.)
I'm trying to find a mouthpiece that works best with my .525 bore 50H will covering the 4th/bass bone book in a big band. And that also works with my chops! So far I've tried a Blessing 12C (came with it), a Conn 6 1/2 AL, and a Bach 5GS. They all seem to have a compromise for me. But the 6 1/2 AL gives me the more centered and focused sound that I prefer but leaves trigger F, E, Eb, & D a little stuffy.
All of these are really small for bass, even for doubling. It sounds to me that you are using something small usually and you haven't put much time into anything else, I'm assuming? You won't have a good low range overnight on any piece and if you aren't doing it right, it can hinder your ability to play low as well. Do you study with anyone? It might behoove you to get a lesson off someone who can make a recommendation for your situation specifically.
If I drill it out one drill size and campher the leading edge will it open up the trigger range without loosing the centered tone I favor?

Inquiring minds want to know!
As Bruce mentioned, the most likely result of this will be an expensive paperweight! Better to get something suited to you stock.

Return to “Mouthpieces”