Stayed with a Mouthpiece for no good reason

walldaja

Stayed with a Mouthpiece for no good reason

Post by walldaja »

I started using Dave Harrison's Wedge mouthpieces in 2008 with my trumpet. I really like them. I ended up getting several different ones and use them on trumpet, flugalhorn, and cornet. Figured I may as well apply them to my low brass too so I got a 5G (large shank) for my then Jupiter 636. Never was really satisfied with the sound and blamed the Jupiter. I traded the Jupiter for my AC280BO to get the F attachment and liked the sound better than the Jupiter but still not 100% satisfied. It wasn't much of an issue as my main playing involved trumpet and euphonium. Figured the sound may have been me and not enough practice.

Now I am playing the trombone pretty much 100% of the time and not loving the sound of the AC. Picked up a Yamaha 421G and immediately loved the sound with the provided 58 mpc. I even liked the 58 on the AC. Today after several hours and playing all sorts of combinations with the Yamaha 421 and AC 280 (their slides / bells are a perfect swap) I found I liked all the combinations except with the Wedge 5G. I went back to the mpc that came with the AC 280 that I discounted because it was only a 6 1/2M Courtois mpc.

As much as I didn't want to believe it I really liked the sound of the AC mpc on the AC 280.

The only reason I kept using the Wedge on my bone was because I was happy with them on my trumpets and it was expensive.

Sign me stupid for years...
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Kbiggs

Re: Stayed with a Mouthpiece for no good reason

Post by Kbiggs »

Why “stupid”? We often learn through trial and error.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

As a trumpet player, you already know that is NEVER your fault and it is in fact ALWAYS the equipment. How you fell into the the weird hautiness and uptightage-edness prevalent amongst trombonists ("no, all you need is a 5G and tons of practice...!") just by doubling on the trombone is beyond me. :biggrin:
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

You figured out what the problem was and corrected it!
...and it was expensive.
I used to make the same mistake with girlfriends...

Return to “Mouthpieces”