Small Shank 5 Sized Suggestions

BeardedPicc

Small Shank 5 Sized Suggestions

Post by BeardedPicc »

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me out here a little bit. I have three mouthpieces right now and one of them seems to fit my embouchure very well at the moment. I have a Besson 8, a Yamaha 48, and a Bach 5G. The Bach 5G is the only one that really feels comfortable to me rim wise, not too narrow, not too much inner rim bite, and not too flat or rounded, a nice semi-flat surface. The only problem is my horn is a .485" bore and the cup on the 5G is just too deep. I was wondering if I should try a 5GS, to kinda keep a more similar throat and backbore, or if I go with the regular 5. I kinda like the more open throat and backbore of the 5G, since I used to be a flute player I tend to use quite a bit of air. But since my horn is a smaller bore should I go with the smaller throat and tighter backbore of the 5 to better match the instrument and try to better control my volume or air? Thanks for your suggestions!
BGuttman

Re: Small Shank 5 Sized Suggestions

Post by BGuttman »

5GS is preferred. A 5 would probably be too deep.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

I've been using a Wedge 5GS for more than 5 years with all of my small bore horns, the smallest of which is a Conn 44H Vocabell. I love the feel and the sound. I suggest you contact Dr. Dave Harrison at Wedge mouthpieces for more information. Or you can PM your phone number to me if you'd like to chat about my experience with the Wedge.

Joel
Onward and Upward
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just a crazy thought: A 4C would be only a little larger than the 5G and might fill the bill.

Another possibility is the Wick 5BS. If you can find a small shank Remington it might be even better. I have one but it's not for sale. If you were in northern Mass or southern New Hampshire I'd let you try mine.

Then there's always Doug Elliott. A 101 rim with a D cup and D2 shank might be just the ticket.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:37 am Then there's always Doug Elliott. A 101 rim with a D cup and D2 shank might be just the ticket.
My DE combo for my .522" Conns and my 32H is a LT102/LT D/D4. I asked Doug what to use for my Conn 24H (.485" bore) and he suggested keeping the LT102 rim and D cup and switching to a D2 shank. Another option is move to the C+ cup which still works with the D2 shank. I need to order the D2 and really want the C+ to try out the combo.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

I love my Rath L5BB Lightweight large shank MP, maybe the small shank version could be just the ticket for you
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The 5 would probably work. It has a smaller throat, which is really what matches to a smaller horn, IMO, not necessarily the cup size.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

My primary horn for 30 years was a .547 bore horn with a Bach 5. When I started playing small bores, I tried a few mouthpieces and ended up using a regular Bach 5, then a Doug Elliott custom setup that is similar, on my King 2B and 3B. It works for me. YMMV. Doug may be able to give you some good suggestions.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

a good 5GS, if you want something stock...

Doug Elliot's options for small bore with larger rims are the best I've tried, and now I play on his stuff.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

ExZacLee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:11 pm a good 5GS, if you want something stock...

Doug Elliot's options for small bore with larger rims are the best I've tried, and now I play on his stuff.
I can't agree more! He also has some of the most comfortable rims in the business!

I use Doug's stuff for all my tenor and euph playing.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
BeardedPicc

Post by BeardedPicc »

Well, I've decided to go with the 5GS size. I move a little too much air for the smaller throat of a standard 5. So I was wondering now does anyone have any experience with the Bach 5GS, Yamaha 51C4, and the Wick 5BS? I'm mostly interested in the inner rim bite difference between the three, also of any of them is any narrower than the others? Money is very tight right now so I can only really purchase one, which is why I'm asking. Thanks for all the suggestions and help earlier!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I really like my SS Schilke 51 on my .525 Shires. Not the popular choice though.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

PM sent
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Mouthpieces”