Need mouthpiece suggestions

bigbandbone

Need mouthpiece suggestions

Post by bigbandbone »

I just started covering the 4th bone book in an 18 piece bigband. The trombone I have in hand is a .522 bore Conn 50H. The Ruddy Muck 23 I use on my .485 bore 20H just doesn't work. A borrowed 12C opens up the trigger register (low F to low C) a little, but not much. With it being a relatively small bore size, how big of a mouthpiece would be a good match. Just a 6 1/2 AL, or would you go bigger, and how much bigger.

No stores near me where I can test before purchase and I don't want to waste money on something totally inappropriate.
BGuttman

Re: Need mouthpiece suggestions

Post by BGuttman »

I used a Bach 4C and a Wick 4BS on a small bore trigger. Anything you try may be OK. Wish you were in southern New Hampshire where I could loan you a couple of things to try.

I would agree that a Rudy Muck 23 is WAY too small for a trigger horn, even an Olds Ambassador with F (I know, I tried one).

An intermediate between the 4C and the 12C would be a 7C which may be a decent compromise.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I think you need a bigger (both cup and throat) mouthpiece for this trombone - especially if you will be playing the 4th book. :clever:
Readily available small-shank mouthpieces (used or new) you might want to try:
Bach 6½AL, Bach 5GS
Schilke 50, Schilke 51
Denis Wick 6BS, 5BS, 4BS
Yamaha 48

Or you could go crazy trying every mouthpiece (many exotic, hard-to-find, or expensive) that will be suggested by the helpful trombone chatters. :idk:
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I had fun one night with a S/S Schilke 51 and my .525.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I play the DE equivalent of a Bach 5 on my .481/.491 dual bore and my .508 horns, even when playing lead. It works for me. Don't be afraid to experiment outside your comfort zone.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

For someone who regularly plays a Rudy Muck, a small shank Schilke 51D is the most readily available mouthpiece that would be bigger than the Muck and deep enough to sound OK on a bass part. It's not much bigger inside the rim, but may be enough to do the job.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Remo

Post by Remo »

My recent experience would lead me to suggest sticking to the 6½ to 5G range. I used a Giddings E-1 (about a Bach 4 size) on my .525-.547 dual bore to play concert 3rd/big band 4th parts in a pinch and it worked well, but found it just too much for my .525 bore for any use. YMMV, but I find there's a point where a bigger mouthpiece just "overblows" the bore and just doesn't work with the horn.
:bassclef: It's all about the bass - clef! King3B/YSL640/Holton181 Giddings/Hammond/Giddings
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Remo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 am YMMV, but I find there's a point where a bigger mouthpiece just "overblows" the bore and just doesn't work with the horn.
:good:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Depends on what's "bigger" and what's "not."
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”