Mouthpiece for G Trombone?

Xenol

Mouthpiece for G Trombone?

Post by Xenol »

Hi All, finally decided to make an account here since I got bored of waiting for the trombone forum to come back up :roll:

I'm looking for a mouthpiece for my old G trombone. I've tried a few different irons I've got lying around (none designed for the instrument) and I get some weird stuffiness issues on the 3rd partial which I've put down to the mouthpiece not being correct.

If anyone has one lying around, or knows of a modern alternative, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks
Specialk3700

Re: Mouthpiece for G Trombone?

Post by Specialk3700 »

What have you tried?
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are two "flavors" of G Bass. One is quite small bore and the other would be called "Medium Bore" today. A small shank mouthpiece usually fits best.

I have a Whaley-Royce G which is the larger of the two bores and mine worked best with a Wick 4AY mouthpiece. Generally the G bass used a relatively small mouthpiece -- in the 4 to 6.5 (Bach size) range.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Xenol

Post by Xenol »

Specialk3700 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 am What have you tried?
The first I tried was some unmarked abomination I found in a decrepit case in the back of the bandroom, looked like pictures I've seen of period ones so I was hopeful, the second was a mouthpiece which came with a Helicon I bought a while ago – about the same size as a 1 1/2G but small bore.
BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 am There are two "flavors" of G Bass. One is quite small bore and the other would be called "Medium Bore" today. A small shank mouthpiece usually fits best.

I have a Whaley-Royce G which is the larger of the two bores and mine worked best with a Yamaha 4AY mouthpiece. Generally the G bass used a relatively small mouthpiece -- in the 4 to 6.5 (Bach size) range.
I believe mine is probably the smaller of the two, although it's a relatively recent instrument (70s) I played an older instrument before which was larger bore anyway. I've got a new pair of callipers on their way so that should clear up some confusion.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

perhabs one of the Bambula serie from Schmidt

Return to “Mouthpieces”