Warburton vs warburton oviedo/usa

Robindubois

Warburton vs warburton oviedo/usa

Post by Robindubois »

I came across an online shop with warburton mouthpieces and warburton oviedo mouthpieces. The latter being sold at a higher price. As I can't play test them I asked what was the difference and the seller only told me to look at warburton s website.

It seems that the oviedo series is the most recent and is built on new lathes but is there a noticeable difference in quality? Has somebody tried both and has any comment on that?
FEWeathers

Re: Warburton vs warburton oviedo/usa

Post by FEWeathers »

The short answer: location, location, location. The long answer:

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/ ... ieces-mean
Robindubois

Post by Robindubois »

FEWeathers wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 am The short answer: location, location, location. The long answer:

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/ ... ieces-mean
Yeah I have seen that already. They say "prior to the fire, we had accumulated a number of computerized CNC lathes for mass production of all the outside shapes but we were not using the CNC lathes to cut the mouthpiece cups and rims because the form cutting tools were still doing a good job." So it seems that the computerised cnc were used to ease production more than improve quality.
OK after that they say that Terry brought improvements based on what he already did so...

Maybe I'm over thinking this but it's always a big deal for me to buy a new mouthpiece. I am wondering if all the tools changes resulted in an improvement in quality of the mouthpieces and how?
More concretely are the pre oviedo mouthpieces worse than the new ones enough to justify a difference in price of 50 dollars?
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Robindubois wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm More concretely are the pre oviedo mouthpieces worse than the new ones enough to justify a difference in price of 50 dollars?
To me? No.

To my nephew? Yes.

To you? Only you can answer that.
Robindubois

Post by Robindubois »

sungfw wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm
Robindubois wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm More concretely are the pre oviedo mouthpieces worse than the new ones enough to justify a difference in price of 50 dollars?
To me? No.

To my nephew? Yes.

To you? Only you can answer that.
... OK Fair enough :wink:
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

I like the Pre-Fire ones better. I actively seek them out; especially the backbores.

They are very inconsistent (with respect to Terry, who is a great craftsman), due to their being made in a more 'hands-on' way. Still, I've found a few examples (I have an 11m and T3* backbore) that outplay any of the new ones I've tried. Their new 1-piece models are excellent.
Robindubois

Post by Robindubois »

TromboneMonkey wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:52 pm I like the Pre-Fire ones better. I actively seek them out; especially the backbores.

They are very inconsistent (with respect to Terry, who is a great craftsman), due to their being made in a more 'hands-on' way. Still, I've found a few examples (I have an 11m and T3* backbore) that outplay any of the new ones I've tried. Their new 1-piece models are excellent.
Thanks for this comment. That is exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. If you're interested, I've found pre oviedo one piece models on the site of Adams music (https://www.adams-music.com/shop/produc ... c&lid=1033)

I really like their 1 piece models... now I think I'll go for an oviedo version.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Wow good looking out! They have quite the selection. Thanks!

Return to “Mouthpieces”