Bach "B" marking on small shank mouthpieces

Burgerbob

Bach "B" marking on small shank mouthpieces

Post by Burgerbob »

Usually, a B marking on a Bach mouthpiece means the Beversdorf rim. I'm well aware of that, I have a 4GB in large shank that is actually quite good.

I just bought a 3GB on eBay, thinking it would be a 3G in large shank with a Beversdorf rim. Lo and behold, it's a 3G in small shank with a normal rim. The B is marked below the 3G on the cup, rather than after it. I guess if I ever get a .525 I'll have something to play it with.

Octavposaune told me of a couple more examples he's seen of Bach bass trombone mouthpieces in small shank marked with a B... Anyone else got a story behind this?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Re: Bach "B" marking on small shank mouthpieces

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I could be wrong on this, but I think it refers to "baritone horn". A lot of American-made baritones/euphoniums were built with a small shank receiver. I'm pretty sure that a colleague had a 5GB that wasn't the rounded Beaversdorf rim, but was instead a small shank mouthpiece that he used in a Yamaha 321. That mouthpiece was made before small shank 5G's were in Bach's catalog.

Jim Scott
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That would make some sense!
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Ha, so you bought that one! I'd be happy to take it off your hands....

I have a small shank 5GB B that seems to be the same thing. Non-standard large shank mpc on small shank gives the second B.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

The B on the shank means baritone. I once a a 5GB with an additional B on the intermediate sized shank, it was a 5G with Beversdorff rim and a shank for a Besson pre '74 intermediate shank euphonium.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Are you guys sure it means baritone? Or... does it actually mean bass?

For a number of years the British G bass was still in vogue and it seems like all these pieces are 5G+ sizes which would fall in the range of the British G bass.

I've got an Mount Vernon 2G, that is clearly a 2G, but it has a small shank on it!!! It was originally made for a British G bass. No additional B on this guy though but it was from the Mount Vernon years before they got constant with stamping.

Just food for thought!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

One thing that makes me think the B means baritone instead of bass is that these mouthpieces were always already marketed in stock form as bass trombone mouthpieces anyway!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

modelerdc wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:50 pm One thing that makes me think the B means baritone instead of bass is that these mouthpieces were always already marketed in stock form as bass trombone mouthpieces anyway!
But not in small shank!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I have a Mt. Vernon

3G
B

With the "B" centered between the two.... but it has a threaded rim! THey aren't done particularly well. Bucket list to have Doug make a rim for me. Its much smaller than a 3G rim... or at least it feels so. But it's quite deep. Like, 2G depth by my eye.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mine is marked the same way.

The rim does seem to me to be smaller than a 3, but I can't really tell.

Return to “Mouthpieces”