A Yamaha 42B eqivalent?

sirisobhakya

A Yamaha 42B eqivalent?

Post by sirisobhakya »

Is there any Yamaha 42B equivalent out ther, especially a relatively cheap one?

I recently bought a German Tenorhorn (equivalent to a baritone). The mouthpiece I have for it is a Yamaha 51D, which seems to mess up the intonation quite badly; for example the tuning slide has to be all the way in for it just to be in tune in a quite hot weather (Thailand’s winter, with 30degC temp, is not a winter at all!). The slotting is also bad and I miss the notes quite often. However, I thought that was because my chops is not familiar to it. The tone was also almost euphonium-like.

However, yesterday I tried a Yamaha 42B lying around in the band room, and the problems are gone. Slotting was almost spot-on, the intonation became better for the majority of notes, and the tone was much brighter and more like Tenorhorns I have listened on Youtube.

The problem now are

1. The 42Bs the school band has (there are around 4-5 of them) are old and worn. I could taste metal when I played, which can’t be a good thing. Also, they belong to the school, and even I aman instructor staff, I don’t want to use it like it’s mine.

2. Yamaha has stopped producing the 42B, perhap quite long ago as well. The smallest in the current lineup is 45A and 45C2, which I also considering. However, if there is any cheaper alternative, that would be great.

By virtue of the instrument, maybe this thread should better be in euphonium forum, but I think the 42B seems to be more like a trombone mouthpiece, and folks here may be more familiar with it.

Another thing I noticed about the 42B is, while the suffix B normally denotes semi-shallow cup, it doesn’t seems to be shallow, maybe more like V-shaped. Former numbering system maybe?
Last edited by sirisobhakya on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Burgerbob

Re: A Yamaha 42B eqivalent?

Post by Burgerbob »

I have one of those. It is the smallest mouthpiece I have ever seen. You might look into tenor horn mouthpieces... I'm sure Denis Wick makes something in the right size.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Schilke makes a mouthpiece designated 42B, also incredibly small - I wonder if Yamaha copied it at some point.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

take a look here, under Tenor Horn-
https://www.schmidt-brass.de/englisch/m ... ombone.htm
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Yeah, a 51D is too big for a ovalform tenorhorn. But I think a Schilke/Yamaha 42B is too small, too. I'd try something like a Bach 7C for starters, maybe a 6.5AL or 5GS.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I'd try something with a fairly small diameter but with deeper cup. Bach 7 (not a 7C) or maybe a Schilke 46D.

I use a 46D on my Bb tenor horn (American style, upright bell).

If you can lay your hands on a 44E4, that'd be worth a try, but they're kinda rare.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Carolus

Post by Carolus »

Actually if you look at Yamaha web site under Baritone horn mouthpieces you can still find the Yamaha 42B listed. I assume this is what you are looking for ... But Klier and Tilz are of course viable alternatives. Just be careful that you buy a piece with the correct shank.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Carolus wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 am Actually if you look at Yamaha web site under Baritone horn mouthpieces you can still find the Yamaha 42B listed. I assume this is what you are looking for ... But Klier and Tilz are of course viable alternatives. Just be careful that you buy a piece with the correct shank.
Which branch of Yamaha? I have checked the Japanese site, Thai site, and also USA site. The smallest of the baritone mouthpiece is 45AS.

Thank you for all the recommendations. Schmidt, JK, and Tilz seem interesting, but a bit above the price range I am willing to pay (I only play the Tenorhorn occasionally).
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

Strange, yesterday it was listed on the European site, today I can't find it...

Return to “Mouthpieces”