Bass mouthpiece comparison?

pompatus

Bass mouthpiece comparison?

Post by pompatus »

I’m hoping to find information on what you guys think of the Ferguson bass mouthpieces compared to similar sizes from other makers. Ferguson V and L vs. Brass Ark/Reeves Mr Bass and O Bass? What about comparison to equivalent Griego or Greg Black pieces? I’m intrigued by the Minick inspiration, and curious how similar they are.

Thanks, all, for any info or playing review you might provide. Best of luck out there!

Terry
ZacharyThornton

Re: Bass mouthpiece comparison?

Post by ZacharyThornton »

V are in the 1 1/2 size range be the L is in a 1 1/4 size range. Loosely though.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They're similar to the Minick sizes, all in that tradition. Nothing really crazy deep, all with wide rims. Most like a Rath 1 1/4L (the Ferguson L). Nothing really like it in Griego/GB land.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
blast

Post by blast »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 pm They're similar to the Minick sizes, all in that tradition. Nothing really crazy deep, all with wide rims. Most like a Rath 1 1/4L (the Ferguson L). Nothing really like it in Griego/GB land.
It's the Rath 1 1/4W that is based on a Minick L, I know as I had a hand in that one. All Minicks are unique... he was not interested in great consistency. Therefore the Ferguson L and the Rath are related,but somewhat different. I had a V that I sold one of my students. I didn't like it but he sounds great on it. Bach 1 1/2G size but different in almost every way.

Chris
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

blast wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:24 am
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 pm They're similar to the Minick sizes, all in that tradition. Nothing really crazy deep, all with wide rims. Most like a Rath 1 1/4L (the Ferguson L). Nothing really like it in Griego/GB land.
It's the Rath 1 1/4W that is based on a Minick L, I know as I had a hand in that one. All Minicks are unique... he was not interested in great consistency. Therefore the Ferguson L and the Rath are related,but somewhat different. I had a V that I sold one of my students. I didn't like it but he sounds great on it. Bach 1 1/2G size but different in almost every way.

Chris
Yes! That's what I meant. I played one for a year or so, good mouthpiece.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Ferguson V is slightly larger than the 1.5g. It gets a clearer, possibly brighter sound than anything I've played. It still gives power to the low notes, but doesn't make them mushy.

The V seems less popular than the other Fergusons for all those reasons. I personally like the lighter sound, but I realize my tastes are a little different than most bass players.

I haven't played the other pieces, but I've spent a fair bit of time on the V. It will give your small bass a bit more power, or maybe clear up muddy sound on a larger bass without losing too much low range or power.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I'd describe the Mr.Bass and Orchestral as in between sizes.

The Mr.Bass, while advertised as an oversized 1 1/2G, is much bigger when you get it on the face, more in line with a 1 3/8ths sized piece. Orchestral series is sort of a 1 1/8ths sized piece.

As others have mentioned the Ferguson V and L are variations and more similar to the traditional 1 1/2G and Schilke 59 sizes.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
blast

Post by blast »

hyperbolica wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 pm The Ferguson V is slightly larger than the 1.5g. It gets a clearer, possibly brighter sound than anything I've played. It still gives power to the low notes, but doesn't make them mushy.

The V seems less popular than the other Fergusons for all those reasons. I personally like the lighter sound, but I realize my tastes are a little different than most bass players.

I haven't played the other pieces, but I've spent a fair bit of time on the V. It will give your small bass a bit more power, or maybe clear up muddy sound on a larger bass without losing too much low range or power.
I briefly had a Ferguson V and didn't care for it myself, but the guy that bought it from me loved it. The Minick V that I sold to my student is a different beast.... rim slightly wider and flatter than a 1 1/2, cup more conical and throat slightly smaller.... confused ? I was !

Chris
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Horn Guys site describes the V as "efficient", which in context of my experience with it, I take to mean smaller and more focused and clear than you might expect.
Cas

Post by Cas »

Does anyone know what the specs are (besides cup and throat) of the Ferguson L? Backbore Rim diameter etc. Just started using this mouthpiece on a bass trombone my college is lending me and was just curious on how big it is
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Cas wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:37 am Does anyone know what the specs are (besides cup and throat) of the Ferguson L? Backbore Rim diameter etc. Just started using this mouthpiece on a bass trombone my college is lending me and was just curious on how big it is
I don't think those are published anywhere. You'd probably just need to measure them yourself. It does have a substantial cushy rim, and quite a bit of mass at 216 grams.

Regarding throat size, it looks to be around the same size of something like a Laskey 85MD, so .295"? It's not a huge throat, but definitely bigger than the Bach .276" G throat. They were copied / based on the Minick originals, and those were pretty much hand machined. I don't know if Minick had a template or blank he used when making the V, L, and LS mouthpieces, so I would suspect that the originals varied a bit.

I guess that is the one thing that is good and bad about the mouthpieces now that they are all CNC made: consistency is top notch, but sometimes it's the inconsistency that leads to what is perfect for one individual. I'm wondering if we'll start to see any "engineered inconsistency" in mouthpieces.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”