Can a teeth/jaw structure be incompatible with trombone mouthpiece?

mickael57280

Re: Can a teeth/jaw structure be incompatible with trombone mouthpiece?

Post by mickael57280 »

Anyone please?
afugate

Post by afugate »

Same HTTPS issue.

Here's a convenience link others can cut-and-paste to see the video in a separate window. (I just removed the "s")

Code: Select all

http://streamable.com/e/ceg7n
--Andy in OKC
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Look funny because I have paste the exact same link in the original post with the video
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Can't see it. Maybe try youtube? You can set to private.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

That is a very workable embouchure. Buzz into the horn like that (not just the mouthpiece) and keep it that way. You should be fine.

Big change from the first video. Good work.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Funny because I don't have changed anything, it's when I bring the horn that all messed up
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 am That is a very workable embouchure. Buzz into the horn like that (not just the mouthpiece) and keep it that way. You should be fine.

Big change from the first video. Good work.
+1. mickael57280, just concentrate on using this embouchure instead of throwing it away when the horn is on your face. K.I.S.S., and you will overcome your difficulties.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

You think you haven't changed anything? Go back and watch both videos. They're completely different embouchure formations.

If you really can't tell the difference, THERE's the problem.
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

No Doug I see the difference, but when I bring the horn to my face I inconsciously mess up everything
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

mickael57280 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 am No Doug I see the difference, but when I bring the horn to my face I inconsciously mess up everything
Keep trying. You expect it to feel like what you've been doing and it won't, it's completely different. I think your corners are a little too far in, try pulling them back just a little. That should help.
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

This is not the first thread I've seen extolling the positive benefits of study with Doug Elliot. This thread, I think, got downright uncomfortable at times and even the o.p. appeared to solicit input solely from Mr. Elliot. I don't know, but doesn't this put us all in an uncomfortable situation? How did things get to this? I've got no axe to grind nor do I have sufficient brass playing experience to be qualified in embouchure specifics but it does appear when the topic is mouthpieces or embouchure's, the go to solution is a Skype or personal study with Doug Elliot. Even if that truly is the case, the mouthpiece forum still wouldn't be the place to make that clear. Other individuals with knowledge and experience tried to weigh in and it's like "yeah, ok, but can I hear from Doug please". I am on other subject forums where there are educators and vendors and they have to walk a very fine line in open forum. If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Leisesturm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
so :hi:

Maybe this topic should not be in "Mouthpieces" but except from that I have no problem with the thread so far.

As long as the posts are made with an intention to help and not to "show off" or be negative I think anything is welcome. An emboushure change after just four years is not as hard as an emboushure change after forty years.

/Tom
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I am here to help. Yes, I'm a moderator here but I do not promote my business here except to mention it when appropriate, and lots of people do ask for my assistance.

However - playing, teaching and mouthpieces are also how I support myself. Giving away advice doesn't pay the bills. I teach and I charge for it - as I paid for lessons years ago. Many lessons over a lot of years.

This topic was put in "Mouthpieces" by the OP.
cigmar

Post by cigmar »

Leisesturm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
"SO"
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Leisesturm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm This is not the first thread I've seen extolling the positive benefits of study with Doug Elliot. This thread, I think, got downright uncomfortable at times and even the o.p. appeared to solicit input solely from Mr. Elliot. I don't know, but doesn't this put us all in an uncomfortable situation? How did things get to this? I've got no axe to grind nor do I have sufficient brass playing experience to be qualified in embouchure specifics but it does appear when the topic is mouthpieces or embouchure's, the go to solution is a Skype or personal study with Doug Elliot. Even if that truly is the case, the mouthpiece forum still wouldn't be the place to make that clear. Other individuals with knowledge and experience tried to weigh in and it's like "yeah, ok, but can I hear from Doug please". I am on other subject forums where there are educators and vendors and they have to walk a very fine line in open forum. If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
Sorry, but I don't see it. IMO, the only people who might be uncomfortable by the recommendations of Doug are those who feel their opinions are entitled to the same consideration.

I'm one of those whose go-to answer is "PM Doug Elliott," and I make NO apology for it.

About a year after I resumed playing after a 28-year layoff, I shot Doug an PM on tromboneforum.org asking for a mouthpiece recommendation, because the dozen or so I had tried weren't working. On the basis of three photos of my chops playing a low (2nd line BC), middle (a top of the staff BC), and high Bb (4th leger line), not only did he nail a particular size rim (a rim size, not a particular mouthpiece) that subsequent experimentation with both smaller and larger sizes has proved to be spot on, but also commented that I probably had a double buzz in a particular range (yup) and recommended a particular adjustment to my mouthpiece placement to eliminate it (nailed that one, too). All by PM, based on three photos. No audio, no video, just three photos.

A couple of years later, I stopped by Doug's booth at the Army Band tuba-euph conference, with the intention of purchasing a DE mouthpiece. Instead of fitting me for a mouthpiece, he spent a good 45 minutes with me working on exercises to improve my embouchure efficiency and smooth out/eliminate my range breaks—all this while other conference attendees—including several military bandsmen—hovered around his booth waiting to try his mouthpiece. At the end he said, "Work on what we've talked about 'til it feels natural, then come see me about a mouthpiece." Didn't charge me for the lesson, either. For a hack amateur nobody.

So until someone else demonstrates to me the same level of knowledge, expertise, and courtesy to those of us whose names will never redound to their credit, I'm going to continue to recommend Doug, without hesitation or apology, as the port of FIRST resort.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

A forum involves input from anyone interested in the subject. A member who wants input from one member, to the exclusion of the others would more appropriately involve an exchange of PMs with that member, rather than leave the subject open to comment from other participants.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Leisesturm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm I don't know, but doesn't this put us all in an uncomfortable situation?
No.
How did things get to this?
Doug got here by spending decades figuring out the best ways to teach brass.
I've got no axe to grind nor do I have sufficient brass playing experience to be qualified in embouchure specifics
So in other words you're suspicious, despite the fact you willingly admit that you're clueless in this field.
Even if that truly is the case, the mouthpiece forum still wouldn't be the place to make that clear.
Exactly, which is why he's available via skype. He's not twisting anybody's arm. Would you go to a teacher in person and ask for a free lesson?
If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
It didn't, and please don't.
cigmar

Post by cigmar »

Redthunder wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 pm
Leisesturm wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm I don't know, but doesn't this put us all in an uncomfortable situation?
No.
How did things get to this?
Doug got here by spending decades figuring out the best ways to teach brass.
I've got no axe to grind nor do I have sufficient brass playing experience to be qualified in embouchure specifics
So in other words you're suspicious, despite the fact you willingly admit that you're clueless in this field.
Even if that truly is the case, the mouthpiece forum still wouldn't be the place to make that clear.
Exactly, which is why he's available via skype. He's not twisting anybody's arm. Would you go to a teacher in person and ask for a free lesson?
If anyone can read through this thread from top to bottom like I just did and honestly say that it didn't make them feel a little greasy, by all means, say so and I'll never bring the matter up again.
It didn't, and please don't.
+1
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

What this thread needs is more quotes from previous posts!
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 am What this thread needs is more quotes from previous posts!
:good: +1...........I would NEVER do that!

Return to “Mouthpieces”