Bass mouthpiece for occasional doubler

Nhtrombone

Bass mouthpiece for occasional doubler

Post by Nhtrombone »

I primarily a tenor player - 1st or 2nd in a big band, function gigs (r&b, rock etc) - who plays bass in one big band that rehearses and gigs very occasionally (some might say rarely).

I currently play on a stock Bach 1.5G that I got back in the mid 90s. Cup depth is great, but the backbore/throat is killing me. I play a Getzen Custom 3062AF (yellow brass) with dual thayer's and, as you can imagine, it plays WIDE open. Because it's not my primary horn and I don't ALWAYS have time to adjust, I'm looking for something with a similar rim and cup depth/shape/diameter but that might provide a bit more resistance to get the pop I'm looking for when playing bass in a big band.
Slideorama

Re: Bass mouthpiece for occasional doubler

Post by Slideorama »

A smaller throat may not be what you are looking for to play a 3062AF in a big band. Balancing your horn with how you play and the style you want is the goal.

Try a Griego 2 in a NY blank.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Also, you can't change only the throat size while leaving the cup volume unchanged without affecting tuning. With all other parameters being unchanged, a tighter throat (and thus a smaller backbore inner volume) would typically make lower partials sharp and upper partials flat.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd honestly check the rim first to really make sure that it's good for you. I find that Bach rims give me a feeling that I need more resistance, but I really just desire more control that something with a narrower profile gives me. So my LB114 (or even an LB110 rim I occasionally use) both work better for me with basically any under part than a 1.5 style rim. If you want something inexpensive and fairly common, I'd look at the Schilke 59. Or, of course, one of Doug's pieces but they are pricier, though worth it in my estimation. The latter would let you try between the 2/3 backbores offered and return the two that don't work as well for you. If you want something with a rim diameter similar to the 1.5 but with the narrower shape, an SB108 rim could work though I might consider bumping it up one size and going with an LB109 as there are a lot more used LB parts floating around.
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

FWIW, my son felt the Yamaha 58 played and felt the most like a tenor mouthpiece (he plays 5G on a Bach 42 and a Conn 3 on King 3B usually) of the five bass mouthpieces he has tried. (Yamaha 58 and 59, Getzen 1.5G, Schilke 59, Bach 1.5GM). YMMV. Yamaha compares it to Bach 2G, but I believe it is a tiny bit larger than current 2G in cup size. Common to find for dirt cheap so may be worth a try. I'd offer it to you, but we want to keep that one around.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

What do you play on tenor?
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
RichC

Post by RichC »

which leadpipe are you using? With those thayer's, you're not getting much resistance, so maybe the tighter, the better?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the doubler thing. I don't think you're going to get where you want to go with just a mouthpiece change on that horn. That horn just blows too big to ever feel like a tenor. I'd go for a smaller horn, like an Olds P24g, Duo Gravis, or maybe 72h.
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

LeTromboniste wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am What do you play on tenor?
I play a custom piece from Austin Custom Brass on my small bore tenor - very similar to a Bach 6 3/4 C. Trent made me a custom bass mouthpiece but it's too constrictive. When I play a legit gig (VERY rare), I use a Schilke 50 on my .525 or an ACB4 (in between a Bach 4 and 5) on my .547.
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

RichC wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:25 am which leadpipe are you using? With those thayer's, you're not getting much resistance, so maybe the tighter, the better?
using the tightest lead pipe
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 am I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the doubler thing. I don't think you're going to get where you want to go with just a mouthpiece change on that horn. That horn just blows too big to ever feel like a tenor. I'd go for a smaller horn, like an Olds P24g, Duo Gravis, or maybe 72h.
Love the horn. Zero intention of replacing it. When I have sufficient time to prep for a rehearsal or gig, I can make everything work. However, I don't always have the kind of time needed.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Have you read “Who in their right mind ... 1 1/2G”?

A wealth of info.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I'm also a doubler. Coming from 11C-ish on tenor and mostly on first and second in big bands. I use a Karl Hammond 20BL on bass. This is about the size of a Bach 1 1/4 .

I do understand the feel of having a bass trombone that sucks air. I think it is probably the Thayers who do that. I have several basses but have deliberately no basses with Thayers because I think they are too open and sucks too much air and I like resistance. It helps me.

If you want a small bass then consider first the single valved Conn 71H and then the dependant Conn 73H. Both these are in feel closer to a large tenor than any other bass I've played, and they have wonderful deep sound. If you need a smaller mouthpiece you could try a Bach 2G.

/Tom

Return to “Mouthpieces”