Replating a mouthpiece

imsevimse

Replating a mouthpiece

Post by imsevimse »

I'm thinking of giving my MT Vernon NY 12C a new silver finish. It is a great piece A different 12C than the newer, not far from an 11C. I would use it if it had more plating. I'm thinking of giving it a replate. Anybody done that? How much does it cost? What type of craftsmen do this? Where to go in Stockholm? What to think of?

Grateful for any help.

/Tom
walldaja

Re: Replating a mouthpiece

Post by walldaja »

I suspect you have an industrial plating company somewhere in your fine country, whether they would take such a small job is the real question. Try to look up industrial plating / industrial finishing and see what that gives you. One company to start with may be Rosenberger. It's a German company but has plants in Sweden. Best wishes.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Matt K
Verified

Re: Replating a mouthpiece

Post by Matt K »

I'd stick to someone who does mouthpieces or at least instruments. Too much can go wrong with jewlers or others with buffing too much material, not using the right thickness or type of material etc. I'd probably find a repair shop and ask them what they'd do. A lot of times if they cna't do it in-house, they'll know where to send it to. Though for something rare, I'd be tempted to ship it off to someone who has a lot of experience specifically with mouthpiece plating.

Return to “Mouthpieces”