Gold plating sources

Bassbonechandler

Gold plating sources

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Hello all,

Where have some people gotten their mouthpieces gold plated before? I know stork and pickett does it.
BGuttman

Re: Gold plating sources

Post by BGuttman »

There is an outfit called "Goldchops" that does full plating or rims only. I think they stint on the gold because we have had some complaints as well as some kudos.

I believe Doug Elliott does gold plating.

If you decide to let a jeweler do it, note that you want 24 karat gold (pure gold) plating. Many jewelers do 14 or 10 karat plating where the gold is mixed with other metals; sometimes nickel.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Jewelers only do decorative plating that won't last any time at all in use.

I don't do plating myself, but I do the prep work which is very important, and I use a local place that does a great job with 24-karat.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 pm Jewelers only do decorative plating that won't last any time at all in use.

I don't do plating myself, but I do the prep work which is very important, and I use a local place that does a great job with 24-karat.
Remind me what the cost is? I'm looking to get the rim and inside cup plated.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I normally only get my screw-rims plated. For an entire mouthpiece it depends on several things but I think my plater would charge me something over $100. If you specifically don't want the outside gold, it might be different but I don't get that done so I don't know.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

www.mouthpieceexpress.com does good gold plating, but turn around is 3 weeks or so - whole piece or rims and cup only, and they do engraving. John Stork of Stork mouthpieces does good gold plating also with a fairly quick turn around (couple of days).
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
euphoni

Post by euphoni »

I used gold chops and am extremely happy with the finish and the price and the speed of service. They did a half satin half shiny gold finish. I plan on using them again.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I used Gold Chops a couple of times in the (fairly distant) past for a couple of tuba mouthpieces and at the time I was pretty happy with them. The initial result seemed great, but it didn't stand up to longer term wear and was nowhere near the quality (meaning, I think, thickness of the gold layer) of my Schilke factory-plated gold mouthpieces. Within two or three years it was showing definite signs of wearing through, whereas I NEVER saw that on a Schilke piece. At least that was my experience. Just be aware that there's a lot of "you get what you pay for" in this area -- and often a lot of what you pay for is the gold (although Doug is of course correct that the prep work is critical).
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
euphoni

Post by euphoni »

ghmerrill wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 am I used Gold Chops a couple of times in the (fairly distant) past for a couple of tuba mouthpieces and at the time I was pretty happy with them. The initial result seemed great, but it didn't stand up to longer term wear and was nowhere near the quality (meaning, I think, thickness of the gold layer) of my Schilke factory-plated gold mouthpieces. Within two or three years it was showing definite signs of wearing through, whereas I NEVER saw that on a Schilke piece. At least that was my experience. Just be aware that there's a lot of "you get what you pay for" in this area -- and often a lot of what you pay for is the gold (although Doug is of course correct that the prep work is critical).

How much did that cost for just the plating from Shilke?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I don't think Schilke offers gold plating as a service. You can buy gold plated Schilke mouthpieces, but they are usually plated by Anderson Plating.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Bruce is right -- at least to the degree that I never had a mouthpiece plated by Schilke, but rather bought already-plated mouthpieces. I have no knowledge of who did the plating. Just assumed that Shilke had done it in house.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Mouthpieces”