5C-ish sized mouthpiece ideas

Jimkinkella

5C-ish sized mouthpiece ideas

Post by Jimkinkella »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any interesting or different ideas for a 5 sized mouthpiece with a C or similar cup (small bore).
I usually play on a Bach 5 rim on a DE LT C, sometimes with a 6-1/2AL cup, sometimes a Hammond 12M.
At the volumes the bands I play with the DE is a bit light, and tends to get a little harsh.
The others work for certain things, but not all, and I'd rather not change equipment in the middle of a set.
Let me know ideas you have.
Thanks
Jim
mrdeacon

Re: 5C-ish sized mouthpiece ideas

Post by mrdeacon »

I know Doug makes different cup weights for his LB and XB bass sizes now. I'm sure he could whip you something some heavy LT cups.

You could always try XT stuff too but that might make things at bit too broad sounding.
Last edited by mrdeacon on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I make a lot of half sizes now. I use C+ with a D shank most of the time, and sometimes D+ with a E shank for more volume.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I had a lightweight Greg Black 5c small shank, although I never liked the rim and it never quite felt right for me on small bore. You could try to find a regular weight version? Doug’s 101 rim is much more comfy for me though, I’d recommend maybe seeing if he can do something
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

I have a custom dillon mouthpiece with a 5 rim paired with a 4Cish cup I would be willing to part with. Heavier weight blank. Pm me if interested.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Rusty wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 am I had a lightweight Greg Black 5c small shank, although I never liked the rim and it never quite felt right for me on small bore. You could try to find a regular weight version? Doug’s 101 rim is much more comfy for me though, I’d recommend maybe seeing if he can do something
Ditto for this. I also used to play a GB 5C, and am now using a couple of different pieces with Doug's rims, including a GB 11C threaded for LT Rims. Would highly recommend getting some of Doug's pieces
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Thanks everybody,
I haven't had any luck with Doug's C or D cups, I may check out a C+...
I've found the Greg Black pieces to be very comfortable, but tend to have a very definite and particular sound to them, maybe it's just me.
Keep the ideas coming though, good stuff
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

C Griego has some interesting wide rim/shallow cup options. He suggested I try a 4C in his Alessi series. Worked surprisingly well (I’ve gone smaller since then).
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

What small bore horn are you playing out of interest?
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Most of the time it's a Minick 100h w/8" bell.
I've also got a Shires I'm trying to work into rotation that follows it's progression of response very closely, although starting from a different place / approach.
It's the similarity of of the observed changes in those 2 particular horns plus checked on a few other horns that has prompted me to look at other mouthpiece options, guessing it's a combo of me and the mouthpiece.
I have other horns where I've been able to find pieces that fit, so I'm trying to figure out whether it's cup depth/shape/weight/etc. that's throwing me off.
And yes, I know I should grab a lesson with Doug, as soon as I can get off the road from my day gig...
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Besides that, I don't know what of my stuff you've tried since you didn't get them from me.
I would probably suggest a C+ with D2. And a bigger rim, maybe 102. The Hammond 12 size is listed as 101 but I measure it as about 102.5
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Hi Doug,
Unfortunately the used market is still an easy way to have some extended trials of your parts.
I only use your 2 shank on 485/495 horns, but it's worth a shot sized up.
I've had both 101 and 102 rims, both LT and XT, on large and small bore, the inner radius of the 102 threw me off and felt more like a Bach-ish 4 feel.
The Hammond 12 feels like it would be 101.5, but the profile is definitely different, but on some horns I can blow through it.
The difference between the 101 and 102 was flexibility and range vs. sound.
That's why' I've stuck with the 101 or Bach 5 rim on some and Hammond piece on others, but the 101 rim had fallen behind on the width.
The 101 did respond closest to the Bach, but was sharper on the interior edge.
Both DE profiles feel closer to an older Bach interior edge, like a MV.
Then search continues...
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I know there's a used market, but a lot of people sell mismatched combinations that shouldn't go together. And old parts that aren't like what I make now. Actually I'm soon going to offer a large selection of used rims that I have.

I am making some half sizes and I have LT 101.5 in stock now.
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

I use a Wedge 5GS with all of my horns - main axe is a Conn 100H Minick knock-off.
Onward and Upward
Tromborinha

Post by Tromborinha »

It also can be interesting to try a Yamaha 51 GP B or 51 GP C4. The rim is a little bit smaller than the Bach 5 and it has a middledeep Cup, but sounds full and centered.

Return to “Mouthpieces”