Chasons Praise

brtnats

Chasons Praise

Post by brtnats »

I split my time between a .508 and a bass. Through some eBay maneuvers, I came across a soprano trombone and a Chasons-Wycliffe crossover. I really don’t like the soprano sound, but liked the crossover. So, I snagged a trumpet and have been playing it using the crossover for a few weeks.

For me, it just plain works. I can switch effortlessly between my tenor trombone and my trumpet. Trumpet range is from the bottom of the horn to a concert pitch F, and up to the trumpet high C (concert Bb) with some effort on focus. Sounds like...a trumpet. Then I can put it down and instantly pick up my 891Z and play the whole range of that horn. The trumpet to bass switch takes a minute to readjust the airspeed, but I could definitely do it in a performance situation.

Your mileage may vary, but I like this product, and it has added a whole new instrument full of possibilities to my repertoire. I played it at a church gig on Thursday and got compliments on the sound.

Matt
Redthunder

Re: Chasons Praise

Post by Redthunder »

I think it's interesting how well these seem to work for some people and others... not so much. I bought one second hand because I play trumpet a lot to teach, and figured it's worth a try. I ended up finding it even more difficult to play than a regular trumpet mouthpiece. I kept feeling like it was too flat, and to my ears the sound just was ... off.

But actually... on horn I found it to work much better for me, oddly enough.

How much time did you spend on it before feeling like you were comfortable with range and sound?
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I knew in about 15 minutes it would work for me. The sound was off to my ears, so I recorded
In a bunch of spaces. All the recordings were fine. Same with pitch. It “felt” flat too, but the tuner and the piano didn’t agree with that feeling. After a few days of warming up and down across all thee horns, the switch felt totally fine and natural.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Gonna resurrect an older topic, just to give an update. I’ve been playing this setup about 3 months and it’s been all positives for me. The ranges up to high C have been getting easier, and it’s getting easier to focus the sound from really wide (almost like a flugel) to a bright trumpet. I’ve played with lots of other musicians, and the only comment I’ve gotten, apart from the weird looking mp, is that it sounds really good. I can switch effortlessly from trombone to trumpet, and it’s been a lot of fun watching my high range on trombone benefit from the increased focus. This is a good product to try if you want to dabble in high brass.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

Thinking about buying one very soon. Did yours take a really long time to ship??
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

kingtempo504 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:48 am Thinking about buying one very soon. Did yours take a really long time to ship??

Got it used, so I don’t know.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

Wow!! Good find.. On eBay??
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Facebook trombone mouthpiece group!
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

Gonna be buying one from chasons tomorrow. I use a 47 yamaha right now. So I think I'll go with the 11c rim. I think that 6 will be too big..
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Do these have UK distribution?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

kingtempo504 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:56 pm Gonna be buying one from chasons tomorrow. I use a 47 yamaha right now. So I think I'll go with the 11c rim. I think that 6 will be too big..
The Wycliffe hybrid that I got has the 11C rim. I can’t imagine getting up to high C with the 6.5 rim...
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

Me neither.. Lol on another note let me know if you know of any for sale.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Geordie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:36 pm Do these have UK distribution?
I'm also very curious
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I would like to try a crossover mouthpiece like that, especially since it seems that I have absolutely no range on trumpet.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

They are on back order until the last week of February. I called earlier today..
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

If they offer a return policy, now that I know how they play, I’d pay full price for one. You’ll know in about a day if it’s going to work for you or not.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

As a trombone player, your experience will likely be like this :

FWIW, that's the 6.5 rim, and it was my first day playing a trumpet ever. So I think the tone is not so bad, and hopefully the video shows what the tone will be like. But that dexterity and knowledge of valves though ....

I got rid of mine after I realized how badly valves get in the way of music, and knowing all along that I really have no dexterity or business playing a trumpet.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am
FWIW, that's the 6.5 rim, and it was my first day playing a trumpet ever. So I think the tone is not so bad, and hopefully the video shows what the tone will be like. But that dexterity and knowledge of valves though ....

I got rid of mine after I realized how badly valves get in the way of music, and knowing all along that I really have no dexterity or business playing a trumpet.
------

Perhaps soprano trombone might be the way to go? I agree that valves get in the way of music. :wink:

------
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Nah. I was just trying it for fun. It works pretty well, but I'm not gonna kid myself -- trumpeter I am not.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

That wasn't bad at all. Thanks a lot now I want one of these even more... :weep: I have to wait tho!! :weep:
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Here’s some audio of me playing at a church gig about 2 weeks after I got the mp. Tone and ease get better each week.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahz0fEqyKJaigdI2jyj8XbYT2UGCyg
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

FeelMyRath wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am
Geordie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:36 pm Do these have UK distribution?
I'm also very curious
Wrote to them and got a prompt reply, here is the relevant part for UK and those of us outside USA.
‘We are sorry but we do not have any distributors outside of the USA. We ship internationally often, but it is more expensive for the buyer. Chasons charges $61 US dollars for shipping to Europe. We make no profit on the shipping charges (they often cost more than we charge). There may also be customs fees per country, and we recommend that potential customers check with their local postal/customs agencies for clarification. Also, our products are guaranteed; however, in the event a return would need to be made, return postage would be the responsibility of the purchaser.’
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Geordie wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 pm
FeelMyRath wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am I'm also very curious
Wrote to them and got a prompt reply, here is the relevant part for UK and those of us outside USA.
‘We are sorry but we do not have any distributors outside of the USA. We ship internationally often, but it is more expensive for the buyer. Chasons charges $61 US dollars for shipping to Europe. We make no profit on the shipping charges (they often cost more than we charge). There may also be customs fees per country, and we recommend that potential customers check with their local postal/customs agencies for clarification. Also, our products are guaranteed; however, in the event a return would need to be made, return postage would be the responsibility of the purchaser.’
Cheers Geordie. Unless I get lucky on eBay (unlikely), that's going to be too rich for my blood
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

brtnats wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:40 pm Here’s some audio of me playing at a church gig about 2 weeks after I got the mp. Tone and ease get better each week.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahz0fEqyKJaigdI2jyj8XbYT2UGCyg
Nice.. Mines came in today. Its hard to hit a e flat above the staff geesh! Everything below is good tho.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I’ve had to practice the range above F at the top of the treble cleff. My guess is that since I haven’t played above that range on trombone, my muscles and aperture just aren’t used to it. I got up to a high C (concert Bb) after a few weeks, and it gets stronger the more I practice it.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

brtnats wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 am I’ve had to practice the range above F at the top of the treble cleff. My guess is that since I haven’t played above that range on trombone, my muscles and aperture just aren’t used to it. I got up to a high C (concert Bb) after a few weeks, and it gets stronger the more I practice it.
That's what I was hoping.. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll put the time in long as I can see results. Peace

Return to “Mouthpieces”