Why no love for the Lindberg Mouthpieces?

Jgittleson

Why no love for the Lindberg Mouthpieces?

Post by Jgittleson »

I recently started playing a Lindberg 2cl, and although coming from a Greg Black 1g wasn't so easy, after less than a week i am producing a great sound on it. Which got me thinking, why do so many people hate this mouthpiece line? I particularly like the thinner rim and large throat. While I am still developing the sound of my lower range (~85% there), playing in the mid range, and upper range, is greatly improved. I find the notes speak clearer, and articulations in general are quite excellent.

My questions to those that dislike these are:

How long did you try it for?
Did you work with it exclusively and give your chops time to get used to it?
If you gave it a real chance, what did you end up not liking about it?

I could easily see someone who only played it for a day or two ending up giving it a negative review. It's definitely not something you hop on to and just sound great, for me at least it's an incremental adjustment. But as i get there, I'm really appreciating its design.
Ted

Re: Why no love for the Lindberg Mouthpieces?

Post by Ted »

Jgittleson wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am I particularly like the thinner rim and large throat.
I particularly dislike the thinner rim and larger throat.

I started on ta 4CL, because it came with the Trombone. :shuffle: .
My teacher advised after a few months to switch to a Bach 6,5AL, and later to a 5G.

I still have it and try it from time to time. Usually it plays fantastic for the first 30min. After that, it starts to feel uncomfortable.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The 2CL is definitely the best of the 3 for large shank. The small shank ones are relatively popular for alto.

Many players want something that will play well in an ensemble setting; the CLs tend to not blend particularly well even if you can stand the rim shape. I think they might be more popular if they had been introduced with a deeper cup and a tighter backbore as an option.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Matt K wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am The 2CL is definitely the best of the 3 for large shank. The small shank ones are relatively popular for alto.

Many players want something that will play well in an ensemble setting; the CLs tend to not blend particularly well even if you can stand the rim shape. I think they might be more popular if they had been introduced with a deeper cup and a tighter backbore as an option.
It probably helps to mention I'm using it on my Baritone bone, so my experience may be unique (hence loving the large throat). I would 100% be interested in seeing what it'd be like with a large cup though. One of these days ill have my friend scan it and make me one that way. Maybe more like a black 2g cup size.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I haven't heard anyone sound good on one except the guy himself.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 am I haven't heard anyone sound good on one except the guy himself.

Its only gotten better since this. And yes I totally woofed the low c!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

:idk:

Sounds like a CL mouthpiece. You sounded better in your GB videos.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They really start to make sense once you're standing in front of of a large symphony orchestra and the conductor cues the downbeat for "Troorkh".

But outside of that realm that only two or three people have been to, no. They don't really make a lot of sense.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

They seems fine to me; I've never had an adverse comment about sound, and many unprompted positives. They do have different feel for sure. I have a 5CL and a 15CL.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

StephenK wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:19 am They seems fine to me; I've never had an adverse comment about sound, and many unprompted positives. They do have different feel for sure. I have a 5CL and a 15CL.
I agree. Im actually enjoying not playing a toilet bowl, and i have this beautiful robust high range that i can rip around in.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Least comfortable mouthpiece I have ever played on!

No, thanks.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have the 5CL and 15CL. I used them for a short time. I think it is obvious they suit Christian Lindbergh very well. I think it is a problem with most custom made products. If they are perfect for him and his playing as a world class soloist it is just average for an average player who performs in an orchestral situation. Different needs, different software, different skills. They are made to fit a monster player For me they were just okay and I found other mouthpieces to be a lot easier.

/Tom
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

imsevimse wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 pm I have the 5CL and 15CL. I used them for a short time. I think it is obvious they suit Christian Lindbergh very well. I think it is a problem with most custom made products. If they are perfect for him and his playing as a world class soloist it is just average for an average player who performs in an orchestral situation. Different needs, different software, different skills. They are made to fit a monster player For me they were just okay and I found other mouthpieces to be a lot easier.

/Tom
Well that explains why i like them then :lol:
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Jgittleson wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm
imsevimse wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 pm I have the 5CL and 15CL. I used them for a short time. I think it is obvious they suit Christian Lindbergh very well. I think it is a problem with most custom made products. If they are perfect for him and his playing as a world class soloist it is just average for an average player who performs in an orchestral situation. Different needs, different software, different skills. They are made to fit a monster player For me they were just okay and I found other mouthpieces to be a lot easier.

/Tom
Well that explains why i like them then :lol:
Maybe you have some physical things in your emboushure and playing that is privileged by his mouthpiece.

For me it was a while ago I tried the mouthpieces. Maybe more than 20 years ago. When did they hit the market?
I'm an old guy now and I know I bought them when they were new 😁.

To me it was not the rim that was the problem. From memory I recall them to be heavy/massive which meant they were "slow" (for me) to get to the sound. I also remember them to be loud which was a problem in an orchestral situation in soft entrances.

Hmm.. maybe I should give them another try and see if it still is the same.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

I mean, check this out. This is after maybe an hour of practice to cut me a little slack. Aso i know its on the fast side, i was trying to keep it under a minute. But overall i think it sounds pretty good woth the 2cl

imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I think it is always difficult to predict how tools will work. Some of my trombones and gears are fine at home, but when I bring them to a big band or an orchestra and try them for real in the right context, it is another thing. I'm sure the mouthpiece works for you, we can hear it does, but does it fit the situations where you are going to use it? To me it did not. Maybe you are more lucky.

/Tom
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

imsevimse wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm I think it is always difficult to predict how tools will work. Some of my trombones and gears are fine at home, but when I bring them to a big band or an orchestra and try them for real in the right context, it is another thing. I'm sure the mouthpiece works for you, we can hear it does, but does it fit the situations where you are going to use it? To me it did not. Maybe you are more lucky.

/Tom
Absolutely! I also think if you really want to make something work, even if it isnt ideal, you can learn to make it do the job. Within reason of course. I specifically got this mouthpiece for pieces like Czardas, and it seems to be s step in the right direction. I think more people should give it more of a chance, but hey what do i know? :idk:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Jgittleson wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm I mean, check this out. This is after maybe an hour of practice to cut me a little slack. Aso i know its on the fast side, i was trying to keep it under a minute. But overall i think it sounds pretty good woth the 2cl

Well.... since you are really pushing the issue...

If you are looking for affirmation of your playing on the 2CL, using this video, here goes:

"No"

I thought "next!" within the first half of the first pitch. Sorry, I was polite with the first video. But you posted another.

If we want to rule out you being the kind of player who is dismissed within the first measure of the first excerpt on the audition, because I want to believe that you are probably not that player after all, then probably ditch the 2CL.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Well, i dont know how your listening, but if its on your phone i guess its possible, since its really not representative of what i even hear making the recording. On a nice set of headphones which is more accurate, i don't agree with you.

Its cool, to each their own.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Jgittleson wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm Well, i dont know how your listening, but if its on your phone i guess its possible, since its really not representative of what i even hear making the recording. On a nice set of headphones which is more accurate, i don't agree with you.

Well, you can actually be objective when listening to a recording, and it is important to take criticism and not be hurt by it, but I won't be critical with what you put up on youtube any further. I still ask everyone around me about what they hear in my playing, and I always take it to heart because they know what they are talking about.

Anyways, keep it up. It sounds good.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:38 pm
Jgittleson wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm Well, i dont know how your listening, but if its on your phone i guess its possible, since its really not representative of what i even hear making the recording. On a nice set of headphones which is more accurate, i don't agree with you.

Well, you can actually be objective when listening to a recording, and it is important to take criticism and not be hurt by it, but I won't be critical with what you put up on youtube any further. I still ask everyone around me about what they hear in my playing, and I always take it to heart because they know what they are talking about.

Anyways, keep it up. It sounds good.

I think you read my response with inflections that werent implied when i wrote it.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you want to go down the small mouthpiece route like you posited in the Facebook group, get a 2G. Everything will be easier.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Ohhhh, he's playing a single bass. I was wondering in what world a 2G is a small tenor mouthpiece. Yeah, the 2G would be one way to go. The 2CL is not a bass trombone piece.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Its not even a bass, its one of my horns. The road is unpaved as to what mouthpiece is a good choice, but I'm working with AR Resonance to develop something. I love the rim on the 2cl (It's almost the same thickness as my black 1g, way thinner than a 2g), so im sending it to him to scan, and he is going to modify the cup and throat design to suit the horns needs. I have one of his big bass mouthpieces coming, but i want to try a variety of mouthpieces for this horn.

On the left is the 2cl, the right is the black 1g, the cl is just a hair thicker but because of the rim profile feels a lot like the black
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Jgittleson wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:57 am The road is unpaved as to what mouthpiece is a good choice, but I'm working with AR Resonance to develop something.
Sponsored
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

There’s not a nice way to say this via text, so please understand I mean no disrespect.

What exactly are you trying for? You’re playing an unusually-keyed trombone with a fringe mouthpiece, and talking about taking the fringe into another fringe (AR Cusrom designs). I understand trying something for the sake of trying it, but it seems to me you’re interested in the fringe just because it exists. If you were a world-class player on the verge of pushing radical new ideas into the mainstream, I’d still wonder what exactly you were going for. Do you have some kind of solid solo gig that allows this kind of experimentation, or are you just messing around because it’s fun?
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I think it is great value to experiment with what ever is fun for no particular reason at all. You always learn something. To do wild and crazy things and to think out of the box is a method to learn. You will never know where that takes you. The road can take a quick turn in another direction, but what is sure is you will learn new things if you go out of the box. In this case there is no standard mouthpiece because there are not many small bass trombones like this made. Try everything and see what works. Enthusiasm is a good. Confidence is a good. Building skills are goid. Everything might boil down to a good mix eventually.

Go on with your work! :good:
Last edited by imsevimse on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I listened on very low quality headphones, so this is not a reliable comment. I may try again on good ones if I get a chance.

But. I liked one of your earlier recordings on that horn much better. Here's what I hear on the CL, again with the low quality headphone caveat: It needs to be pushed, hard, to get any tone. Loud notes aren't that bad, high or low. Mf notes are, well, like Harrison said.

Return to “Mouthpieces”