For the Mouthpiece Cognoscenti:

Trombone47

For the Mouthpiece Cognoscenti:

Post by Trombone47 »

I am primarily a small bore tenor player, but I play Bass trombone on occasion (80/20 split). I play a YBL620G horn that I love. I have been splitting my practice and playing time on the horn between a Denis Wick 2NAL and a Stork Custom 1 1/4. I love the presence and clarity of the 2NAL, but I can produce the Low C and B with much more surety on the Stork. Any suggestions for something between these two?
Thanks in advance.
BGuttman

Re: For the Mouthpiece Cognoscenti:

Post by BGuttman »

Yup. Try a 1 1/2 G. Stork, Bach, etc. Schilke 58.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I use a Yamaha 59 which is about a 1 1/2G size. Works great for me and my playing is split about the same as yours
Trombone47

Post by Trombone47 »

Thank you Bruce and dukesboneman for your help and guidance.
blast

Post by blast »

The 620G is a great horn and a good match to several mouthpieces.... my problem is that I don't know you and your playing. Find someone with a big box of mouthpieces, like I have. If you can cope with it's small rim, a Bach 2G sounds wonderful in that horn. If you need a more open throat to help those valve notes,Greg Black offers some custom options that help.... lastly, our very own Doug Elliott has wonderful smaller options and could work with you over Skype.

Chris
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I have the 620G bass and I found a Bach 1 and 1/4G seems to work particularly well.
Trombone47

Post by Trombone47 »

Thank you, blast and Bach5G for your suggestions. I have been using a Faxx 1 1/2G for the past few weeks and it is superb!

Return to “Mouthpieces”