First bass mouthpiece

RConrad

First bass mouthpiece

Post by RConrad »

Hello everyone,

First time posting here so please excuse my ignorance. I recently started playing the trombone again after a 10+ year break. I started playing with the university symphonic band a few months ago, at first, on my old small-bore student tenor. The director really wanted me on a larger bore horn as I'm covering 3rd but only had a Rath R900 to loan. Not being someone to walk away from a challenge I offered to take up the bass. I haven't regretted that as the Rath is a lovely horn to play and due to the nature of a bass I've had to really focus on the fundamentals of playing.

With all that said I've been using the Douglas Yeo mouthpiece I found in the case and after playing with it over the last month or so I've realized it is a bit too big for me. If anyone has a good suggestion of a few brands and sizes I should look into that would be wonderful. Since I'm in the Chicago, Schilke is just across town and I've thought about giving them a call. Any help or advice is welcome!
Robert C
Burgerbob

Re: First bass mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

A 58 or 59 would be fine.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I'd put in a vote for the Schilke 58.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If you want to go with Schilke, I would say 58. Otherwise, I'd say buy a Faxx 1.5G and play the snot out of it.
Savio

Post by Savio »

I would suggest a Bach 1 1/2g. Easy to get everywhere, easy to play. And you get the good classic bass trombone sound with some practice. And it also fit most bass trombones out there. Or else I would just take a skype session with Doug Elliott here on the site. He make mouthpieces that can be customized for you and your horn. I bet he can see what suits you after just a little talk and blowing a few notes.

Leif
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I would go with Faxx at least until you get more experience and have some grounds to make your own judgment.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Since the horn I'm using isn't my personal trombone a Faxx seems to make the most sense.
Savio wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am I would suggest a Bach 1 1/2g. Easy to get everywhere, easy to play. And you get the good classic bass trombone sound with some practice. And it also fit most bass trombones out there. Or else I would just take a skype session with Doug Elliott here on the site. He make mouthpieces that can be customized for you and your horn. I bet he can see what suits you after just a little talk and blowing a few notes.

Leif
As a Mechanical Engineering student the thought of having a mouthpiece made is really intriguing but as I do not currently own my own bass or large bore tenor and I'm just starting to develop my embouchure again I think it'd be best to wait a few years. I've got a lot I need to work on to get back to where I was years ago and I just recognized that I needed something to help me develop. I've also started researching trombones that may work for me once I have the money to afford something in the spring. I'll probably be asking for some opinions regarding that here in the next couple of months as I will have a limited budget being a student and disabled veteran. I do hope I get a chance to sit down with Doug Elliott in the future though.

Thank you again!
Robert C
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

The Faxx is an excellent choice and is not too expensive new. If you can find one used, a Schilke 58 or Bach 1.5G would be good as well.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Crazytrombonist505 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm The Faxx is an excellent choice and is not too expensive new. If you can find one used, a Schilke 58 or Bach 1.5G would be good as well.
I went ahead and ordered myself a Faxx. It'll be here next week which should give me some time to adapt before my next concert on the 3rd of November. Like Mr. Merrill said above once I have more time under my belt I'll go from there. A Schilke 58, 59 and a Denis Wick 0AL are on my list of mouthpieces to try once I'm at that point based on suggestions from here and a bit of my own research. Course I also haven't gotten myself my own horn yet so it's possible I may be switching between a tenor and bass fairly often.

It's so nice to be playing again.
Robert C
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It's going to take a couple of YEARS before you outgrow the 1 1/2 G (if you ever decide you did). I have a 1 1/2 G sized mouthpiece that I constantly go back to when I have to play bass after a long string of tenor playing.

I'd continue to use the Faxx until you get your own instrument. Then you can begin to experiment.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 am It's going to take a couple of YEARS before you outgrow the 1 1/2 G (if you ever decide you did). I have a 1 1/2 G sized mouthpiece that I constantly go back to when I have to play bass after a long string of tenor playing.

I'd continue to use the Faxx until you get your own instrument. Then you can begin to experiment.
I'll probably stick to the Faxx for a good long while. I try not to switch between mouthpieces too often as I'm fairly sensitive to how it changes my sound. I still reach for my first 12c when I play my old horn in fact. I may experiment if I find myself a bass with an odd sized bore or a dual bore tenor but my funds are limited so I'll be happy if I can just find a good bass.
Robert C

Return to “Mouthpieces”