Olds 3 and Wedge 6.75C

Geordie

Olds 3 and Wedge 6.75C

Post by Geordie »

Believing that, once you have found one you like, its better to stay with one mouthpiece, if possible, I have been using a Wedge 6.75C on on an Olds Recording and a King 3B+/F for the last 12 months. Generally happy with that set up. I have come to notice that the upper range slotting on the King is more reliable than on the Olds. Although I have seen comments many times about the shape/length of the Olds mp receiver impacting tuning/slotting I had not thought about it too much. However, gradually getting frustrated about the lack of reliable upper range slotting on the Olds I went back to my Olds 3 mp on that horn to investigate. After about an hour today I'm convinced it has helped me make an improvement.
Hoping that its not the new mouthpiece 'honeymoon effect' I'm planning to use the Olds 3 on the Olds and the Wedge on the King.
Leaving aside and acknowledging all the 'it depends on the person/face/music etc etc' comments, generally speaking is this a blindingly obvious thing to do in your experience, and I've just been dumb, or do I need to consider other things?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman

Re: Olds 3 and Wedge 6.75C

Post by BGuttman »

Did you measure the "penetration" of the Wedge on both the King and the Olds? If the Wedge mouthpiece doesn't go as deep into the Olds receiver then you have the older Olds shank and that may explain your problem.

You can have Wedge modify your Olds 3 mouthpiece to have the same contour if you want. That may give you the same comfort you experience on the Wedge mouthpiece on the Olds 3 mouthpiece.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Geordie wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 am
Hoping that its not the new mouthpiece 'honeymoon effect' I'm planning to use the Olds 3 on the Olds and the Wedge on the King.
Geordie,

I think this is a reasonable, good, and effective strategy. I believe that Olds mouthpieces do work well on Olds small-bore trombones. :idk:
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

On the basis that too often we don’t hear about how things turned out for people asking questions, here is an update.
I have pursued the different m‘pieces different t’bone strategy. Overall I’m satisfied with the outcome in both the main contexts in which I play. Slight issue when there are gigs/rehearsals close together that require a different tool but that can be managed and my adjustment has speeded up. Interestingly the wider rim on the Olds seems to have helped my endurance. Or perhaps swapping around has meant a different emphasis on various parts of the embouchre depending on the piece used and is leading to an overall strengthening ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Mouthpieces”