John Coffey Mouthpiece

Redthunder

John Coffey Mouthpiece

Post by Redthunder »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Coffey-Go ... SwVYtbs~tl

Just found this. Anybody know anything about these pieces? I remember reading somewhere on TTF about Brookmeyer playing on a Coffey model mouthpiece. It looks small.
Doug Elliott

Re: John Coffey Mouthpiece

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have one in my collection. It's sort of 11C -ish. Wayne Andre played one.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 am I have one in my collection. It's sort of 11C -ish. Wayne Andre played one.
Interesting... Do you know if there were other models of it, or the company that made it?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Mine is a #2 and the rim actually measures about .985 which is more of a 7C size. I think Wayne Andre played the same model but I'm not sure and I don't know what the #3 is. I also don't know who made them or when.

Earlier in the 1900's there was a Vega Band Instrument Co. in Boston that made trumpets and trombones. I have a Vega trombone and matching mouthpiece. But that was possibly too early to be the manufacturer. Charles E George was the president of Vega and he died in 1954 but I think the company ended long before that. Still, it's possible... Maybe somebody else knows.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:56 pm Mine is a #2 and the rim actually measures about .985 which is more of a 7C size. I think Wayne Andre played the same model but I'm not sure and I don't know what the #3 is. I also don't know who made them or when.

Earlier in the 1900's there was a Vega Band Instrument Co. in Boston that made trumpets and trombones. I have a Vega trombone and matching mouthpiece. But that was possibly too early to be the manufacturer. Charles E George was the president of Vega and he died in 1954 but I think the company ended long before that. Still, it's possible... Maybe somebody else knows.
Thanks for the info, Doug!
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

But Doug how does it play?! Can I come try it?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Let's not get started on you wanting to try everything in my collection....

Return to “Mouthpieces”