Greg Black 1 1/8G .312 #2

fwbassbone

Greg Black 1 1/8G .312 #2

Post by fwbassbone »

I received this piece from Zac Thornton a few weeks back and have been playing it since. It was instantly comfortable, works well for me, and since I like gold I'll get one in gold. This mouthpiece reminds me of what one of my former teachers (Don Jacoby) said: "Find a mouthpiece that's comfortable immediately, does what you need it to do, put it on the horn and forget about it". Maybe I should quit messing with different pieces...yeah, probably not.
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black 1 1/8G .312 #2

Post by Burgerbob »

I've been playing the 1G with those specs for the last year or so. It works in every setting for me and has grown with me as a player in every way. The only change I've made was to another one that had just a tiny bit better response.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I tried the 1G with these specs but it was a tad too big for me. This one seems to fit well.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Not that it matters but I'm pretty sure Denson Paul pollard now plays on a 1 1/8g.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 pm Not that it matters but I'm pretty sure Denson Paul pollard now plays on a 1 1/8g.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I knew he was playing GB but now that it was that particular model. It is especially interesting as he is coming from really big material, having played the Schilke 60CV, the Doug Elliot P-Cup without leadpipe, and then the Laskey 93D. (Which he had been on for quite a while before switching to GB).

Coming from big mouthpieces myself, I had tried different variations of the GB 1 myself but never enjoyed those as much as other pieces I had played in that size. (Laskey 93, Hammond 21bxl, Parker/Dunkel).

I would be intrigued to give the 1 1/8g a try, especially with the 0.312 but I recently made a rather big change in my equipment choices by going away from big material completely and going with a “Mr.Bass” from Brass Ark.

Happy you are happy !
Bassbonechandler

He also switched to silver plating as well. Again, not that it matters a whole lot. I got my 93d about a month ago now. Maybe eventually I'll try a Greg black too.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

93D is a good mouthpiece, but I find the 1G to be just a little better in most ways.

Oddly, there are some horns that the GB doesn't work in at all that the 93D is just fine on. Conns don't seem to jive with the GB at all, but the Laskey works great in them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bassbonechandler

How does the bite and rim compare to the 93d on the Greg black?
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:24 pm How does the bite and rim compare to the 93d on the Greg black?
The Laskey is less rounded, and a little thinner.

Andrew
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Oddly enough, a few months later I am the owner of that amazing mouthpiece and have been so for more than three weeks by now.

I wanted to buy this piece after having liked the standard GB 1 1/8 a lot already and just felt like giving this variation a shot. No harm done, after all the rim and cup are identical.

I will post some details tomorrow as of now this mouthpiece works for me.

Return to “Mouthpieces”