Greg Black weights?

MIAbone

Greg Black weights?

Post by MIAbone »

pros and cons to greg black weights of mouthpieces
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black weights?

Post by Burgerbob »

Standard weight is heavier than the average Bach. Lightweight is like a stock Bach, with a lighter sound a little more flexible. Medium and heavy are heavier.

I prefer standard weight. Great sound, easy to play, no real tradeoffs for what I do as far as I can tell. I play all styles on it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Even the lightweight mouthpieces feel heavy, at least to me they do, compared to Bachs. I like Greg's pieces a lot, especially the New York models for large bore.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Anyone compared regularweight to lightweight in his small shank pieces?

I’ve only played his regular or medium weight pieces, and love the body and weight of sound, so just wondering how much % of this would you say is lost with the lightweight versions?
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Rusty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:20 pm Anyone compared regularweight to lightweight in his small shank pieces?

I’ve only played his regular or medium weight pieces, and love the body and weight of sound, so just wondering how much % of this would you say is lost with the lightweight versions?
I can definitely tell a difference. Hard to put a percentage to it, but it's definitely noticeable. I like the lightweight stuff because it still feels just a tiny bit heavier to me than most other manufacturers standard weights, which is nice. The medium feels as heavy as a Bach Megatone.
MIAbone

Post by MIAbone »

I was leaning towards the New York 1.5 lightweight or regular. anyone has experience with the 1’s?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

What horn? I found the 1.25 to be a little shallow. I'm using a 3.5 right now but I miss the 1 rim.

I enjoy them in standard weight on my 42. Any lighter (for me) and the horn would be pretty bright.
MIAbone

Post by MIAbone »

bach 42 with an edwards rotor section
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think either would work. My 42 is a little lighter than some big tenors out there so the regular weight is a good match.
MIAbone

Post by MIAbone »

cool thanks

Return to “Mouthpieces”