Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post Reply
ZiggyAzalea
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by ZiggyAzalea » Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm

I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
User avatar
Neo Bri
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Netherwhere
Contact:

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Neo Bri » Mon May 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Well, the best place to start is at the beginning.

1. What are you playing now?
2. What horn(s)?
3. What are your goals?
________________________________________________________
Get the word out! Make www.trombonechat.com our community!
User avatar
Kingfan
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Kingfan » Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Check out some of the other threads on mouthpieces, like the one on .500 bore mouthpieces. There is no one mouthpiece that works for everybody. You must find what works best for you and your horn. Like Neo Bri said, let us know what horn and mouthpiece you are playing now and what your goals are, and we can help narrow down the search.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
ZiggyAzalea
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by ZiggyAzalea » Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm

I’m currently using a Bach TB301 and a Getzen 1047FR and am looking for a new jazz horn (pm me if you have one for sale) and I want a more brilliant sound for first parts in my high school jazz band. Some examples of songs we’ve played are Brass Machine, Vehicle, Chameleon, Sing Sing Sing, and Tank (the opening from Cowboy Bebop)
Thanks for the help!
ZiggyAzalea
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by ZiggyAzalea » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 pm

ZiggyAzalea wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm
I’m currently using a Bach TB301 and a Getzen 1047FR and am looking for a new jazz horn (pm me if you have one for sale) and I want a more brilliant sound for first parts in my high school jazz band. Some examples of songs we’ve played are Brass Machine, Vehicle, Chameleon, Sing Sing Sing, and Tank (the opening from Cowboy Bebop)
Thanks for the help!
Forgot to mention, I’m using a Bach 6 1/2 AL for the TB301 and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL for the Getzen
Posaunus
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm
Location: California

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Posaunus » Mon May 28, 2018 11:39 pm

ZiggyAzalea wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm
I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
If you're already using a Bach 6½AL on your Bach TB301 (0.500" bore) and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL on your Getzen 1047FR (0.547" bore) as your mouthpieces, quality is NOT the issue - these are both high-quality mouthpieces played by many professional trombonists. They may be slightly too large for you at this stage of your trombone career, but otherwise they should be perfectly fine.

What exactly do you think is the problem that a different mouthpiece could solve?

Do you have a trombone teacher who is a trombone professional? If so, ask him/her. If not, try to find a good teacher and take some lessons.
User avatar
FeelMyRath
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by FeelMyRath » Tue May 29, 2018 2:08 am

On the TB301 try something with a similar rim but a bit shallower in the cup. I've never been a fan of the 6 1/2AL myself but that's just me - your face is totally different!
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
ZiggyAzalea
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by ZiggyAzalea » Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 am

Posaunus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:39 pm
ZiggyAzalea wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm
I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
If you're already using a Bach 6½AL on your Bach TB301 (0.500" bore) and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL on your Getzen 1047FR (0.547" bore) as your mouthpieces, quality is NOT the issue - these are both high-quality mouthpieces played by many professional trombonists. They may be slightly too large for you at this stage of your trombone career, but otherwise they should be perfectly fine.

What exactly do you think is the problem that a different mouthpiece could solve?

Do you have a trombone teacher who is a trombone professional? If so, ask him/her. If not, try to find a good teacher and take some lessons.
The mouthpiece’s purpose would be to play high notes more easily. It’s just not as easy to play high notes as I’d like on the Bach, possibly beacause I've been spoiled by the Denis Wick
User avatar
BGuttman
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 am
Location: Cow Hampshire

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by BGuttman » Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 am

If you like the Denis Wick, consider getting a 7CS for the Bach trombone. Or a Vincent Bach 7C. Both are similar in size to the 6.5 AL and shallower. This helps high notes, but at the expense of fullness in the lower register. There is no free lunch.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
Davidus1
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Davidus1 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Take the mouthpiece money and pay for a lesson from an experienced teacher who can help you. Worth every penny!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Mikebmiller
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Mikebmiller » Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 pm

For playing lead, I have started using a Warburton 7 M. They have a nice cone shape that makes the high notes a bit easier and gives the horn some pop. Expensive though - $170.
Post Reply

Return to “Mouthpieces”