Mouthpiece for a King 3B Plus.

Beaker

Mouthpiece for a King 3B Plus.

Post by Beaker »

I am thinking about getting a new horn and would be downsizing from a .547 bore Conn 88H and a .562 bore Conn 83H to a .525 bore King 3B plus straight tenor trombone. My question is which would be the best mouthpiece to use on the small horn a Bach 6.5 AL or a Bach 5GS type mouthpiece, thoughts please?
Doug Elliott

Re: Mouthpiece for a King 3B Plus.

Post by Doug Elliott »

What were you using on the 88H, and were you satisfied with the results you were getting?
Downsizing the horn does not necessarily mean you should move to something completely different.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

DE E cup.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:46 pm What were you using on the 88H, and were you satisfied with the results you were getting?
Downsizing the horn does not necessarily mean you should move to something completely different.
Earlier I was using the standard Remington mouthpiece that came with the 88H. Later I started using the Remington mouthpiece that came with the 83H double rotor bass since I switched to a Bach 1G on the 83H. I never cared for the Remington mouthpieces though. That is why I switched to the Bach 1G and lived with the fact that the 1G had a standard taper but the 83H (and the 88H) had the Remington tapers in the receivers.
Sadly, I no longer have both horns but I would like to start playing again. Since I am in my early 60's, I would like to get a lighter weight horn for now, thus the 3BPlus, and eventually get me a new bass trombone later.
Last edited by Beaker on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

As you might expect, there is no "ideal" mouthpiece for a King 3B+ (or any other trombone).

Absent any other information, I suggest that you contact Doug Elliott for advice. (You may want to pay for a video chat session with him to help point you to likely choices.)

In any case, please think outside the Bachs - many of us have found that the best trombone mouthpieces for our faces /playing styles are not found in the Bach catalogue.
Briande

Post by Briande »

I have a 3B+ and I’ve been using a 5G for concert band and if I need to use it for Jazz I’ll use my Stork T2 (Essentially a 7C). Great thing about a versatile medium horn is it adapts to your use!
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Beaker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:37 pm I am thinking about getting a new horn and would be downsizing from a .547 bore Conn 88H and a .562 bore Conn 83H to a .525 bore King 3B plus straight tenor trombone. My question is which would be the best mouthpiece to use on the small horn a Bach 6.5 AL or a Bach 5GS type mouthpiece, thoughts please?
Both of those could be reasonable choices for a 3B+, but if you previously had good success on a larger size like the Remington, you might consider staying on the larger side of rim sizes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”