MV 1.5G “0” Marking

HawaiiTromboneGuy

MV 1.5G “0” Marking

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Recently acquired this beautiful MV 1.5G and it has a “0” marked on the shank. Any ideas what this means?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
heldenbone

Re: MV 1.5G “0” Marking

Post by heldenbone »

BACH CORP., MT. VERNON ?

There seem to be several different fonts struck, with odd spacing, and the shank rings just below the bowl look oddly modern. How does it play, compared to a recent product?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Looks like a Mt Vernon to me. There are a zillion different markings on Bachs in that era. Except for the period and comma, my 6.5AL looks the same.

https://www.bachloyalist.com/mouthpiece ... ations.htm
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I've been perusing other "Mt Vernon" specimens on Google image search, and none seem to have the period/comma. On this one, MT VERNON also looks to be ever-so-slightly taller than BACH CORP too. That's why the question "How does it play?" That's the important part.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

The one example of a Bach trumpet mouthpiece on Bach Loyalist dated 1930's has a serif'd font, not the modern sans serif.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Unfortunately I haven’t gotten around to giving it a proper go. Here is the story behind this mouthpiece I received from the seller.

“ Incidentally, the Mt. Vernon mouthpiece has a little bit of a story behind it that you might find interesting. My teacher in college, John Marcellus, gave it to me at some point in the mid 90's. He said that he had a gig playing a circus in Binghamton, NY back in the early 80's. Alan Raph was booked to play bass trombone, but he got sick before the show and couldn't play so Doc ended up "doubling" on the tenor and bass books. Alan gave him his backup mouthpiece to play on the gig (the 1 ½ G that you now have). Doc liked it and ended up buying it from Mr. Raph after the gig. That mouthpiece goes down quite far into the lead pipe, but Doc had me wrap some plumber's tape around the shank so that it would stick out a bit more. I think it plays much better that way.”
Drew A.
Professional bum.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I really want to be wrong, and will gladly say "I'm a goof." I hope it plays great for you. There were some George Roberts 1-1/2G replicas that had NY, MV, and CE stamped. Maybe the "O" is related.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

The LS Bach 3 I have (Corp) with a Remington shank is stamped "Conn" on the shank. My guess is that the "O" refers to the shank taper, not an alteration to the backbore.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

"O" could be for Olds, which would explain the slightly smaller taper.
Or it could be an "O" drill throat, which is .316
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

heldenbone wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:27 pm I've been perusing other "Mt Vernon" specimens on Google image search, and none seem to have the period/comma. On this one, MT VERNON also looks to be ever-so-slightly taller than BACH CORP too. That's why the question "How does it play?" That's the important part.
This one has the period and comma. I would assume these are roll stamped, so maybe the location was second piece? There seems to be lots of variation out there, as mentioned before.

https://reverb.com/item/63857498-bach-t ... mouthpiece
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I've got a later small shank 1.5G which also has the 'O' stamping on the shank. Given yours is a large shank and mine's a small I'm guessing it's more likely the throat than a specific taper.

Return to “Mouthpieces”