Bach 6 vs 5

Trombola2112

Bach 6 vs 5

Post by Trombola2112 »

Was wondering if anyone had experience with them? Considering trying one for my small bore. According to the spec sheet (which i know is unreliable) the main difference is the rim. I currently use a Bach 6.75c (for more lead type stuff) and a Conn 5g on my large tenor if it matters.
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 6 vs 5

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, about the same, with the 6 being a bit smaller in the rim. What's the small bore? I find on some horns the throats are too small to really work, but again that's just me.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

It's a 3Bf
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For my money... the throats are too small for that horn. A 6.5AL is a better match overall if you can deal with the rim size, or a 5GS.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I also use a 5G with my large bore tenor. I use a Bach 5 on my 3B-F. Anything smaller backs up on me, including the 6.5AL. IMHO the only way to find out for sure what works best for YOU is to try each mouthpiece you are considering, or maybe get a Skype lesson from Doug Elliott.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

One of my trombone teachers when I was in high school (he played bass trombone in the local orchestra and had a large studio of high school/jr. high students) told me that he had good luck with his young students having them play on a Bach 6 with the throat drilled out a size or two, rather than the 6.5AL. He taught a lot of young players who did well with things like All State, etc. Also, I knew a lot of professional players who played 5G's when that mouthpiece was the standard large bore choice, who used a 5 on their small bore horns. I've never personally liked the 5GS, although I've never played on a small shank version. The large shank version first appeared when I was a student, and the small shank version didn't appear until I was already playing in an orchestra, and didn't have a use for it. The "no letter" small shank Bach mouthpieces aren't for everybody, but some people do find them useful.

Jim Scott
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:36 pm For my money... the throats are too small for that horn. A 6.5AL is a better match overall if you can deal with the rim size, or a 5GS.
I have been using a 5GS. I like it, but don't love it. I do have an old 6.5AL I could revisit before I try something new.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Suggestion: Think outside the Bachs!
Lots of affordable mouthpiece options with larger, more compatible throats (and backbores) from other manufacturers.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

By 6 do you mean an actual Bach 6 or just one of the family of 6 1/2 mouthpieces? I have a set, an actual Bach 6, 6 1/2AL. 6 1/2AM. and the 6 1/2A. All of the 6 1/2 have the 25.4mm rim, and all have the A cup but differ in the throat and backbore. The AL is the largest throat, the AM is slightly smaller, and the A has the same small throat as most of the small shank Bachs. The Bach 6 however has a 25.5mm rim, larger than the 6 1/2 family and about the same as a 5. The 6 rim however is more rounded than the Bach 5, it's like a slightly larger version of the 6 1/2 rim. Most aren't aware of it, but Bach intended for the odd number mouthpieces to have flatter rims and the even numbers to be more rounded. Between the Bach 5 and 6 this is the case, both being similar except for the rim diameter. The Cup on the 6, as with the small shank 5, is the standard Bach small shank medium cup and small throat, no different from a 7 or 11. My preference among them on small bore is the 6 for jazz. The 6 1/2 AM is better for concert band, on a small bore and the 6 1/2AL better for .525 bore horns. But the rims are slightly smaller on all the 6 1/2 too bad they didn't offer the same cups as well as the G and GS cups with the 6 rim! I haven't found that the 6 1/2 A better than the others for any application and so don't use it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The Bach 6 I bought around 1968 had a very flat rim and a very sharp "bite". It sounds like these characteristics may not have been consistent with the 6.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

SteveM wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:05 am The Bach 6 I bought around 1968 had a very flat rim and a very sharp "bite". It sounds like these characteristics may not have been consistent with the 6.
That sounds more like a 5 that got stamped as a 6! I wonder how it left the factory like that... Then again, Bach's quality control has never been great.

I've never seen a Bach 6 so I can't compare (not sure if I'd like the [usually] rounded rim and soft bite combo), but the 5 was a revelation in my playing in that I needed a larger diameter than average for small bore playing. I do wish there was a stock 5C with the shallower cup for lead playing, and a stock "5M" or "5AM" with the larger throat and backbore of the 6½AM as a bridge to the deeper/larger 5GS (same throat/backbore as 6½AL, a little deeper) and 5G (full large cup, throat and backbore as the large shank version).
modelerdc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:25 pm I haven't found that the 6 1/2 A better than the others for any application and so don't use it.
Maybe for valve trombone? The large shank 6½A is totally different with the standard large shank throat and backbore, and it could work as a solo mouthpiece for those who like that rim size and shape.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Kevbach33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:28 am That sounds more like a 5 that got stamped as a 6! I wonder how it left the factory like that... Then again, Bach's quality control has never been great.

I've never seen a Bach 6 so I can't compare
You're saying the mouthpiece, as I described it, couldn't have been a 6, then you're saying you've never seen a 6?
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

I would contact Doug Elliot, have a consultation and go with what he recommends. I started using his mouthpieces in 2018 and have been able to update things when I’ve switched horns or felt that I needed some help in the high register. The versatility and being able to match shanks to various horns is amazing.

Return to “Mouthpieces”