Tuba mouthpiece???

Alphaotic

Tuba mouthpiece???

Post by Alphaotic »

One of my friends recently had a brand new miraphone tuba arrive (it looks like it dropped out of heaven) and I really, really want to try it out as a bass trombone player. He told me to maybe try getting a cheap 20 dollar mouthpiece, but I wanted to ask if it would really be worth it to get a 20 dollar mouthpiece that either would sound like trash, give me cancer, or would do decent for the sake of just trying out a tuba. Should I spend money on said cheap mouthpiece or beg my band director to try out one?
BGuttman

Re: Tuba mouthpiece???

Post by BGuttman »

1. Beg the BD for a mouthpiece to try. It probably won't be perfect, so take that with a grain of salt. Most BD's will have an odd Bach 24 or 18 around.

2. Try it with your bass trombone mouthpiece. It's too small, but at least you can get a sound out of the thing. Extra points if you are using a Contra sized mouthpiece (Marcinkiewicz 105, 106, 107, etc.).

3. Borrow one from a classmate.

Do NOT buy a cheap tuba mouthpiece. It's probably in such bad condition that it will damage the instrument. By the way, you can't even find a $20 tuba mouthpiece. Figure at least $50 for something kinda old and beat. And if the shank is dented, don't even try using it if you still want to be on good terms with your friend.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Kelly plastic mouthpieces are cheap, and for your purpose it will play just like a tuba.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A Kelly is a good choice, Plastic one from the site is $41 plus shipping. I liked the Kellyberg, myself.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I got a marcinkiewicz for dale at a reasonable price ;)
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

Josef Klier pieces are fairly reasonable. I've got one (JK Exclusive 3B) for sale (listed in the Classifieds).
Last edited by boneberg on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Kelly mouthpieces are... usable for messing around in a practice room.

If the band director has a mouthpiece for you to borrow (with an undented shank, as Bruce has rightly emphasized) that's of course the cheapest option.

You can probably find a Helleberg in usable condition for like $50 or so, and it's a good enough piece that it's worth having around for any future tuba adventures.
Theodoresmi4129

Post by Theodoresmi4129 »

The Chinese versions of the Conn Helleberg is pretty good and can be found for around $20. I keep one in the car incase I forget a mouthpiece and it has served me well.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

A Faxx Helleberg should run you way less than $50 for sure. In my rather limited tuba experience, it's a good mouthpiece as well.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

If you’re just trying out a horn and you’re in HS… just ask your band director for a mouthpiece to use. Since you’re not really a tuba player any mouthpiece will do. But if he has a Conn Helleberg 7B that would be best as a bass trombone player.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A

Return to “Mouthpieces”