Diamond Brass

muschem

Diamond Brass

Post by muschem »

I ran across this site:
https://www.diamondbrass.com/english/

I was wondering if anyone here has tried this coating, and if so, what your experience with it has been?

I've generally liked the H-Kote option available on Houser/Parker rims, but the stainless base material does have an impact on the playing characteristics. The Diamond Brass coating can apparently be applied to brass base material, which sounds interesting (though expensive).
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
tbonesullivan

Re: Diamond Brass

Post by tbonesullivan »

Hmmm. I would guess they coat them in carbon and then heat or flame treat them. I remember that tiny diamonds can be created with a blow torch and graphite, so maybe something like that is involved. My question would be what it feels like. They look kind of "matte".

I don't have any interest, but a fellow trombone player I grew up with has fairly acidic sweat, so a coating that would be impervious to that is pretty appealing.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
meine

Post by meine »

It‘s a basstrombone played from Austria who offer this kind of coating. I tested one once and it feels kind of strange to me. The touch is actually very comfortable and the coating makes the mouthpiece feel similar to a plasticmouthpiece, but you still feel the temperature of the metal. The thing I didn‘t like and what was the main point to stay with silver plated mouthpieces was that the diamond coating felt kind of sticky on my lips. I prefer to be able to slide over the metal with my lips what wasn‘t possbile on the diamond coating.

Otherwise it‘s not a bad idea. On the website you can contact Maximillian, who is a really good guy. Maybe you‘re looking exactly for what he offers?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I had a couple of rims done just to try it. Too strange. I like some friction but not as much as that. It even looks rough under a microscope.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
muschem

Post by muschem »

Thanks! The texture/feel is exactly what I was curious about. Rough and sticky doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
meine

Post by meine »

It‘s not rough, just kind of sticky. The best is to try it out.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It can't be undone.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”