Strange Mouthpieces

Sander

Strange Mouthpieces

Post by Sander »

Allright, hear me out guys,

I've seen some pictures of mouthpieces that made me think what the h*ll was going on.

I'm hinting towards those overdesigned Warcinkiewicz mouthpieces, those mexican Banda mouthpieces, but also I've come across a brand called Titanovation, which look absolutely bonkers.

Are these only looks for their prices, or do any of these actually prove quality and playability?

Over here in the Netherlands, those 'crazy' mouthpieces don't show up often.
I remember, 10 years ago I was asked what I was using when i had a Christian Lindberg 5CL and everybody wondered what it was. Now they're mainstream here..

Question for you:
What mouthpieces do you think look absolutely smashing? (Pictures may be added)
What mouthpiece that you've played had the looks ánd the playability of a absolute top mouthpiece?
Sander
Posaunus

Re: Strange Mouthpieces

Post by Posaunus »

Sander wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 am Allright, hear me out guys,

I've seen some pictures of mouthpieces that made me think what the h*ll was going on.

I'm hinting towards those overdesigned Warcinkiewicz mouthpieces ...
Not sure what you mean by this. Am I missing something? Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces have been sort of mainstream (sidestream ?) in the U.S. for more than 30 years. Overdesigned? Again perplexing. The blanks are indeed lighter than some, but as trombone mouthpieces they perform very well. Endorsed by some fine trombonists. The ET4 "Lloyd Ulyate" is one of my favorite small bore pieces; others almost as nice.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sander wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 am
Question for you:
What mouthpiece that you've played had the looks ánd the playability of a absolute top mouthpiece?
DSC07854JPEG.JPG
The L2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sander

Post by Sander »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:07 pm
Sander wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 am Allright, hear me out guys,

I'm hinting towards those overdesigned Warcinkiewicz mouthpieces ...
Not sure what you mean by this. Am I missing something? Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces have been sort of mainstream (sidestream ?) in the U.S. for more than 30 years. Overdesigned? Again perplexing. The blanks are indeed lighter than some, but as trombone mouthpieces they perform very well. Endorsed by some fine trombonists. The ET4 "Lloyd Ulyate" is one of my favorite small bore pieces; others almost as nice.
I'm talking about Mouthpieces like this one from them.
I'm not US based, but Netherlands, Europe. There, you don't often see them coming around, especially the design I've just posted... That's what I was hinting towards :)
Sander
Sander

Post by Sander »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:34 pm
Sander wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 am
Question for you:

DSC07854JPEG.JPG

The L2
Amazing looking horn, but the mouthpiece is a little mainstream by the basic looks of it. Not really wehat I was hoping for, but good to hear it plays amazing haha. :pant: :pant:
Sander
Sander

Post by Sander »

Looks amazing, but it feels like it plays like bollocks to be fair.
Sander
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sander wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 am
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:34 pm

DSC07854JPEG.JPG

The L2
Amazing looking horn, but the mouthpiece is a little mainstream by the basic looks of it. Not really wehat I was hoping for, but good to hear it plays amazing haha. :pant: :pant:
What are you hoping for? "Cool looking" is subjective, and has nothing to do with how a mouthpiece plays. I think the 5CL looks cool. So you're already all set.

Plus the thread is titled "strange mouthpieces" , so do you want "absolutely smashing" or "butt ugly"?
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Here is my .547 bore trombone mouthpiece. I took my mouthpiece ideas to Todd Clontz back in 2005 and we spent the day making it. It has been my primary large-bore tenor mouthpiece ever since then. I have yet to find another mouthpiece that works better for me. You can call it big and ugly or you can call it cool. Most days, I call it one of my best friends!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=18247
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Sander wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:19 am Image

Looks amazing, but it feels like it plays like bollocks to be fair.
It looks quite similar to the piece Dennis Rollins plays on. He has info here: https://www.dennisrollins.com/boqar-baro-mouthpieces

Maybe it feels better on his custom Rath!
IMG_7261.jpeg
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Sander wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:19 am Looks amazing, but it feels like it plays like bollocks to be fair.
For you non-British speakers, "bollocks" is sort of a synonym for "rubbish." :horror:
Hardly a compliment!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:46 pm I think the 5CL looks cool.
I agree with Harrison. I love the smooth simple profiles of the Lindberg mouthpieces.
Christian Lindberg mouthpiece.jpg
Almost as nice: The gentle profiles of the old Olds mouthpieces.

I've never quite understood the need for (advantage of?) the bulbous exterior cup profiles and ridges & corrugations of typical modern trombone mouthpieces. Does all that extra mass really provide a significant benefit? If so is it determined "scientifically" or systematically? Why are (French) horn mouthpiece profiles so simple?
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

This topic reminds me of the phrase, “Hearing with your eyes.”
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The typical Bach blanks are actually lighter than the Lindberg's I believe.
Sander

Post by Sander »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:46 pm
Sander wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 am

What are you hoping for? "Cool looking" is subjective, and has nothing to do with how a mouthpiece plays. I think the 5CL looks cool. So you're already all set.

Plus the thread is titled "strange mouthpieces" , so do you want "absolutely smashing" or "butt ugly"?
Both, as long as they draw interest you got my attention :)
Sander
Sander

Post by Sander »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:16 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:46 pm I think the 5CL looks cool.
I agree with Harrison. I love the smooth simple profiles of the Lindberg mouthpieces.

Christian Lindberg mouthpiece.jpg

Almost as nice: The gentle profiles of the old Olds mouthpieces.

I've never quite understood the need for (advantage of?) the bulbous exterior cup profiles and ridges & corrugations of typical modern trombone mouthpieces. Does all that extra mass really provide a significant benefit? If so is it determined "scientifically" or systematically? Why are (French) horn mouthpiece profiles so simple?
True, the minimalist design gained on me when I blindpicked it for my large bore. Upon seeing what I preferred musically, I liked the design. Bad thing that the goldplated Lindberg mouthpieces fade to a very light shade of gold after a few years. Mine didn't age well unfortunately.
Sander
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Not mine, but saw this offered somewhere over here
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I rather appreciate the understated contours chosen by Bill Symington for his two bass offerings.

https://www.facebook.com/symingtonbrass/

Return to “Mouthpieces”