Greg Black 6C vs 7C

gregwaits

Greg Black 6C vs 7C

Post by gregwaits »

To whomever might know, how do these GB ‘pieces spec out?

Is the 6C comparable to a Bach 6 3/4C?
7C comparable to their 7C?

This is my assumption. I recently was offered a mint condition 5C Greg Black for a very good price. I couldn’t pass it up. But for my use, it is too large. On a .525 horn I bet it would be a great match.
JLivi

Re: Greg Black 6C vs 7C

Post by JLivi »

I actually just purchased and then sold a GB 6C. Although it was engraved "6C*" and I was told by someone on this forum that the "*" meant that there was a something different about the mouthpiece that wasn't standard to a normal 6C. Although I didn't buy it from the original owner, so I'm still not sure what was not standard.

In my experience the 6C is very much like a 6.5 rim, not a 6 3/4. I play the AR Resonance version of a 6 3/4 rim and the GB 6C was definitely wider.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
bassclef

Re: Greg Black 6C vs 7C

Post by bassclef »

JLivi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 pm I actually just purchased and then sold a GB 6C. Although it was engraved "6C*" and I was told by someone on this forum that the "*" meant that there was a something different about the mouthpiece that wasn't standard to a normal 6C. Although I didn't buy it from the original owner, so I'm still not sure what was not standard.

In my experience the 6C is very much like a 6.5 rim, not a 6 3/4. I play the AR Resonance version of a 6 3/4 rim and the GB 6C was definitely wider.
The * has something to do with the outer blank shape, or how the mass is distributed on the blank. It's something like - the rim is the same as the standard weight, but the outer cup is like the light blank. Or, maybe it's the other way around. It's not listed on their site, but someone here knows for sure and hopefully they'll chime in.

And yes, it's definitely 6.5 size (25.4mm). I'm just about to order a 6C with a Futuro rim. I have a 6.5AL in light blank which is still really heavy. Weighs just over an ounce more than a couple of their bass mouthpieces I have in standard weight. I had to get a light with a Futuro rim so I could put any snap whatsoever on the attacks at volume levels below fff. I actually love it now, but want to try the C cup in this size.

Return to “Mouthpieces”