Griego
3%
Other
53%

Total votes: 73
Bach5G

Mouthpiece for lead trombone: poll

Post by Bach5G »

Mouthpiece for lead trombone. A spin-off from the existing thread. Non-orchestral.
smcgonigal

Re: Mouthpiece for lead trombone: poll

Post by smcgonigal »

Yamaha Al Kay
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug Elliott XT series, C+/D3, with Bousfield V3 rim
(Due to the nature of the rim, the cup becomes slightly shallower)
Last edited by harrisonreed on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Warburton 9M/T3*, like my signature.

If I were required to really soar, or my chops were out of shape, I'd pull out a CKB 7C.

But I'm not really a lead player to begin with.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

You should play what works. Don’t worry about what others play.
Steve
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

MST Studio K NY N, comparable to 11c
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I second the "What works for you" response.

I've been using a Doug Elliott LT 102/E/E3 on my Conn 40H for lead or 2nd in the two Big Bands I play for Senior Center dances.

Some of the famous pros played 11C or 12C sized mouthpieces, but many of them grew up on that size.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

For me, a Schilke 47 or a Bach 6 3/4 C.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'm an inveterate experimenter - can't seem to settle down. Playing less lead these days, but current favorites are:
• Marcinkiewicz ET4 "Lloyd Ulyate"
• Yamaha "Nils Landgren"
• Schilke 47B
• Giddings "Chubasco"
• Doug Elliott ST99 Rim/ST D Cup/D2 or D3 Shank (depending on which trombone I'm using)

Someday perhaps I'll grow up and pick a favorite, but I'm still having too much fun at the mouthpiece smorgasbord! ;)
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

Purviance 4*1 (Or the Bob Reeves version, 1A)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

smcgonigal wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:48 pm Yamaha Al Kay
That’s 11C sized isn’t it? I haven’t been able to find much information about it on the Internet.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I started using the “BG5” made by Patrick Mouthpieces six months ago and am very happy with the results. It is a lead trombone piece designed by Steve Patrick and Barry Green, the top studio trumpet & trombone players,
respectively, in Nashville.

I’m not exactly sure of the specs, but to me it’s a larger rim like a 6.75c but with a shallower “V type” 7c cup”? It’s incredibly efficient and helps produce a very clear sound. That’s my vote.

https://patrickmouthpieces.com/
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I think the poll should say 11C sized rather than specify Bach 11C. I'm sure there are 11C sized mouthpieces from the other makers too. To me a 6 3/4C also is 11C sized as well as a Conn 3. Many mouthpieces are around that size. A Bach 6 1/2 sized could be another category, a mouthpiece that is like that is for example a Hammond 13M. Another way to categorize is to specify the width and cup figures and let everyone measure their mouthpiece or you specify ALL the mouthpieces YOU are interested in. Not easy to draw conclusions in this case.

Another interesting poll would be if we could set a more narrow context, for example if we could do a list of what our favourite lead jazz trombone player chose to play, then at least that limits it down to only include the best players in the world, but question is: Do we know this?
Anyway it has to be a personal choice, some can not play small sized mouthpieces because it feels like a pair of shoes that is too small which is a limitation that people who regularly play all sizes of mouthpieces don't have. Thus will naturally effect how flexible we are to experiment with different sizes of mouthpieces. As an individual you chose the mouthpiece that works for you. In this case the mouthpiece that gives best sound, articulation, the register needed and enough stamina for the context where it is to be used, in this case as a lead player in a big band, but what kind of a band???
A professional big band? A college big band? A high school big band? All these contexts are different and if the level is high school then stamina would not be a variable I have to take into consideration.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I use a Warburton 8S/4*. It's about the size of a Bach 4, but with a very shallow cup. Works excellent for all my lead/salsa/funk needs. If I wanted even more zing, I'd go with a Warburton Rosolino.
smcgonigal

Post by smcgonigal »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:24 pm
smcgonigal wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:48 pm Yamaha Al Kay
That’s 11C sized isn’t it? I haven’t been able to find much information about it on the Internet.
I'd say it is 11C -ish. Has the most uncomfortable rim. The bite to so sharp it feels undercut.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach's not getting a lot of love here. Could it be that the trombone community has finally discovered that even though Bach mouthpieces were once the "industry standard" they are no longer the be-all and end-all? :idk:
Last edited by Posaunus on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

RJMason wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:44 am I started using the “BG5” made by Patrick Mouthpieces six months ago and am very happy with the results. It is a lead trombone piece designed by Steve Patrick and Barry Green, the top studio trumpet & trombone players,
respectively, in Nashville.

I’m not exactly sure of the specs, but to me it’s a larger rim like a 6.75c but with a shallower “V type” 7c cup”? It’s incredibly efficient and helps produce a very clear sound. That’s my vote.

https://patrickmouthpieces.com/
What are the rims like on these pieces? Can you compare it to anything else you’ve played? The 6.5 small shank piece looks really interesting too.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:09 pm Bach's not getting a lot of love here. Could it be that the trombone community has finally discovered that even though Bach mouthpiece was once the "industry standard" they are no longer the be-all and end-all? :idk:
I listed a bunch of Bachs because that’s almost all I know about small shank mouthpieces. I had an 11C on my shelf because years ago I read that Watrous played an 11C (yes, I know, modded by Pettinato etc.) and if it worked for him…

What Posaunus suggests is that Bach is just a starting point. I think he’s right. There are lots of alternatives out there apparently. It’s interesting to find out about some of the alternatives people are using.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:24 pmI listed a bunch of Bachs because that’s almost all I know about small shank mouthpieces. I had an 11C on my shelf because years ago I read that Watrous played an 11C (yes, I know, modded by Pettinato etc.) and if it worked for him…

What Posaunus suggests is that Bach is just a starting point. I think he’s right. There are lots of alternatives out there apparently. It’s interesting to find out about some of the alternatives people are using.
I know some players who have "Peppy" Pettinato mouthpieces. I think there are also quite a number of people playing 7C and 11C "type" mouthpieces, as they really are a good starting point, not just for players, but for a lot of custom mouthpiece makers as well. They are making what their customers want, and often that is a tweaked 11C or 7C, or maybe a Schilke 47 with some changes.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

sacfxdx wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:14 pm You should play what works. Don’t worry about what others play.
This!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

JeffBone44 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:12 am
sacfxdx wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:14 pm You should play what works. Don’t worry about what others play.
This!
YEP! This reminds me of when I learned that Tom "Bones" Malone plays a Bach 6 1/2AL, while most people playing smallbore bachs and other "Jazz" horns would use the 7c or 11c.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:44 pm
JeffBone44 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:12 am

This!
YEP! This reminds me of when I learned that Tom "Bones" Malone plays a Bach 6 1/2AL, while most people playing smallbore bachs and other "Jazz" horns would use the 7c or 11c.
Dick Nash alsso played as 6 1/2 as does Carol Jarvis
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Vegasbound wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 am
tbonesullivan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:44 pm YEP! This reminds me of when I learned that Tom "Bones" Malone plays a Bach 6 1/2AL, while most people playing smallbore bachs and other "Jazz" horns would use the 7c or 11c.
Dick Nash alsso played as 6 1/2 as does Carol Jarvis
Equivalent to 6 1/2AL Others include...... Marshall Gilkes, Myself, Jimmy Pankow, Jimmy Bosch, Sam Burtis, Adrian Meers, Robert Bachner, Günther Böllman, Ed Neumeister amongst many others :cool:
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:09 pm Bach's not getting a lot of love here. Could it be that the trombone community has finally discovered that even though Bach mouthpieces were once the "industry standard" they are no longer the be-all and end-all? :idk:
I’m not sure that is a true trombone community conclusion. There are a lot of us still playing Bach. Not all pros are on TC.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There are a LOT of good options out there these days.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Bach 17C since around 1990.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Sander

Post by Sander »

I use a Bart van Lier 8E from Kunhl and Hoyer.
Amazing Mouthpiece for me.

Living in the Netherlands, not a lot of variety is sold across the various stores here.

Mostly we see Bruno Tilz, Denis Wick, Bach, Arnolds 'n Sons and stuff like that
Sander
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

yamaha 47 or giardinelli 5d
Hear, Ear !

Return to “Mouthpieces”