Mouthpiece for lead trombone?

davek

Mouthpiece for lead trombone?

Post by davek »

I have been very lucky to be playing lead trombone in a local big band group. I really have not been a 'lead' player much so the challenge has been fun and a little scary too. So far I guess I'm doing ok.

I play a '67 King 3b (if that matters) and have been playing on a Faxx 7c. I started on a 6.5al but found I just needed a little brighter sound and some help on the higher stuff too. The 7c has been... decent.. but suffers a little when I have to play the middle to low stuff occasionally in certain pieces. Overall, the trade off is mostly good to stay with the 7c vs the 6.5 but I'm not completely happy with it over the range for consistency. Maybe it's just me.

I have tried to reach out to Marcinkiewicz several times in the last 2 weeks and left voicemail and email but no one picks up the phone or replies. Just wanted to talk to them about their models to see if I might consider trying something.

I imagine recommending something to me when you don't know me or my playing is pretty tough. The obvious thing is to see if Doug has any time ( I imagine he is very busy right now!) to help me, but curious to see what the rest of you say?
Burgerbob

Re: Mouthpiece for lead trombone?

Post by Burgerbob »

Doug is the way to go. I'm not sure my setup would be great for lead, but I really dig my DE piece.

Also, depending on what you play on larger instruments, something cheaper like the Bach 4C is something to consider.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Marcinkiewicz is a good start for a 7C alternative. In addition to Doug Elliott, you could contact Graham Middleton (TC member) who works at Marcinkiewicz for advice.
Good luck.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

King 3B:

DE "rim size here"/C+/D3
If you really need high range all the time, B/B3
davek

Post by davek »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:50 pm Marcinkiewicz is a good start for a 7C alternative. In addition to Doug Elliott, you could contact Graham Middleton (TC member) who works at Marcinkiewicz for advice.
Good luck.
I would contact Graham if I knew how. The only number I could find was their website's ph. That's the one I called 2 times with no answer. It is/was Christmas week though so maybe I can try again.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Graham's TC name is "Grahambone"
Try sending him a PM or e-mail.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I can always make time for a short Skype call.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
davek

Post by davek »

pm sent
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Doug Elliott is pretty much a sure bet if he has time to help you. He knows more about mouthpieces than any 10 of us put together! :good:
davek

Post by davek »

Thanks all. I sent a message to Doug for a consult when he has a few moments. Except for a stint when I played my Conn 88h with a Giardinelli 3gm ( and I’m talking 30+ yrs ago!) all I’ve ever played as the standard ‘Bach’ style.
I am curious to see what comes of this. I’m in mid 60’s now and need all the help I can get! 😏
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I'm also in my mid 60s. I used to play a King 4B with a Bach 5G as my primary until I got switched to lead in a big band and pulled out my 3B. I had trouble with the usual suspect mouthpieces - 6 1/1 AL, 7c, etc. until Doug told me to try a Bach 5. It really opened up the horn for me. I Skyped with him and now play one of his custom combos.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

It is really to individual to give advice. There are also two complete different ways of choosing a mouthpiece. Either you find out you do best on one particular rim and then just vary the variables after the rim such as cup-shape, cup-depth and backbore, then your choice for lead will probably be a shallow cup with that rim. The other way is to also vary the width of the rim, maybe some also prefers to change profile of rim (haven't met anyone thought). I prefer a smaller rim in combination with a shallow cup for lead playing in a big band and use that on a small bore. Not at all the same mouthpiece I use when I play a large bore or medium bore in a windorchestra/symphony orchestra.

For me the mouthpieces close to a Bach 11C works best for lead playing. My mouthpiece at the moment is the Nils Landgren signature Yamaha mouthpiece. It has a tad wider rim compared to an 11C but feels as comfortable and works great on all parts In a big band as well as for soloing and also lighter classical playing on a small bore. Its my favorite at the moment.

/Tom
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use a wedge 100al in my Bach 12. Works for me.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
davek

Post by davek »

Follow up: Doug and I met via Skype today and he watched my playing and buzzing. Within a minute or 2 knew what and where my weaknesses/flaws were, irrespective of talking about mouthpieces. This is so helpful because I knew that my own playing was part of my problem and that a mouthpiece was not just going to fix everything. I had wondered about the rim vs cup size thing as it related to me. I think he is sending me a "100" rim and a C cup size mouthpiece which I am excited to try.
I will try to let you know how it goes. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback !

Return to “Mouthpieces”