General mouthpiece

Kneesks

General mouthpiece

Post by Kneesks »

Since I started playing bass, I've always used a Bach 1 1/2G megatone mouthpiece. My lessons teacher keeps telling me to get a 3g for general range because the 1 1/2 is suited for "almost total mid and low range". Considering that the Bach is the most comfortable mouthpiece I've played in terms of how it fits my face, Is a 3g a good idea to purchase, or are there better options? Are they close in dimensions to a 1 1/2?
Burgerbob

Re: General mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

If you're playing bass, don't go any smaller than a 2G. If you're in the US, that would be a very strange thing for a teacher to recommend.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If I were you I'd ditch the 1 1/2 G Megatone simply because it is a Megatone. Megatones take more air and are harder to play. You may find that a regular 1 1/2 G will give you an easier upper range.

The 3G is a "tweener" mouthpiece; very big tenor or very small bass. Unless you have to play a lot of tenor parts I'd probably not go this route. If you are a tenor player get a tenor mouthpiece.

The 2G is a smaller bass mouthpiece. There have been some awesome bass players using this size, most notably Ray Premru. If you are to be a bass player but want something smaller go to this size. But a real 1 1/2 G may be all you need.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'd say that the 1.5G is the general bass mouthpiece
Kneesks

Post by Kneesks »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:18 pm If I were you I'd ditch the 1 1/2 G Megatone simply because it is a Megatone. Megatones take more air and are harder to play. You may find that a regular 1 1/2 G will give you an easier upper range.

The 3G is a "tweener" mouthpiece; very big tenor or very small bass. Unless you have to play a lot of tenor parts I'd probably not go this route. If you are a tenor player get a tenor mouthpiece.

The 2G is a smaller bass mouthpiece. There have been some awesome bass players using this size, most notably Ray Premru. If you are to be a bass player but want something smaller go to this size. But a real 1 1/2 G may be all you need.
So trying/getting a 2g or Regular 1 ½ would work better? I am primarily a bass player, with little tenor playing ever tbh.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Kneesks wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:05 pm
So trying/getting a 2G or regular 1½G would work better?
YES!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

What, exactly, does your teacher mean by "general range"?
I can see having a 3G in your bag of tricks for those occasions when you need to cover a tenor part, but as a full-time mouthpiece for bass trombone?

(As an aside - when my college bought a Bach 50B3L in the early eighties, it came with a 3G that I don't think anyone ever used.)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

You might think about getting a different teacher too.
Kneesks

Post by Kneesks »

JohnL wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:05 pm What, exactly, does your teacher mean by "general range"?
I can see having a 3G in your bag of tricks for those occasions when you need to cover a tenor part, but as a full-time mouthpiece for bass trombone?

(As an aside - when my college bought a Bach 50B3L in the early eighties, it came with a 3G that I don't think anyone ever used.)
Like everything in and above the staff. " It should give you more flexibility to play above the staff, while still being good enough for some trigger notes."
I think he's under the impression I'm buying/maining tenor.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

I read that Markey used 3G and 1.5G when he was in college.
I knew a good bass trombonist from the Bolshoy theater who used only two mouthpieces: Giardinelly 1G (1.5G size) and Bach 3T (Bach 3 large shank).
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The 3G size is definitely on the large side for tenor, but not unreasonable - I play on that rim size myself on all my tenors (and alto). So if the teacher is recommending it for when you play tenor parts - and if it work for you - then it's an OK suggestion, and continue on the 1-1/2G for bass.

BUT you should be able to play above the staff and your full range on your bass mouthpiece too. It's really not for "almost total mid and low range".
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What’s your general age? HS, college, etc? I’ve recommended 3G to HS players before and it worked well (way better than the… Doug Yeo their school was providing for sure…) because they also did tenor. It’s not totally unreasonable to play a 3G for tenor and bass which kinda sounds like what your teacher is recommending. If you want to primarily be a bass player I would agree with others that a 1.5 is probably better choice. Especially if you like it already.
Kneesks

Post by Kneesks »

Matt K wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:49 pm What’s your general age? HS, college, etc? I’ve recommended 3G to HS players before and it worked well (way better than the… Doug Yeo their school was providing for sure…) because they also did tenor. It’s not totally unreasonable to play a 3G for tenor and bass which kinda sounds like what your teacher is recommending. If you want to primarily be a bass player I would agree with others that a 1.5 is probably better choice. Especially if you like it already.
I'm 17, HS senior. I am primarily a Bass player and looking to stay that way.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Gotcha. Yeah, Doug's advice is what I'd recommend then.

Return to “Mouthpieces”