51D with bigger rim?

americanbozo

51D with bigger rim?

Post by americanbozo »

Im a bass trombonist who is required to play tenor trombone for some ensembles and marching season. I find most tenor mouthpieces too small and I'm looking for something like the schilke 51d but with a bigger rim. i would prefer a mouthpiece on the cheaper side (<150 US dollars) like a Denis wick classic/heavy top or Schilke since this is for marching season. Ive tried the Bach 4g and isn't really for me. The schilke 58 was almost there but felt a tad too big. Im willing to pay for a custom mouthpiece if really necessary

Thanks
BGuttman

Re: 51D with bigger rim?

Post by BGuttman »

I would suggest a Wick 4AL or 4BL (AL needs a lot more air). You can also see if you can find a Bach 3G Another mouthpiece to consider would be the Schilke 52 series.

I assume you are playing a large bore trombone for marching season, but if you have to play small bore, look into the Wick 4BS

Another possibility is the Yamaha 57, which is sorta like an oversize 52
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
americanbozo

Post by americanbozo »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:07 pm I would suggest a Wick 4AL or 4BL (AL needs a lot more air). You can also see if you can find a Bach 3G Another mouthpiece to consider would be the Schilke 52 series.

I assume you are playing a large bore trombone for marching season, but if you have to play small bore, look into the Wick 4BS

Another possibility is the Yamaha 57, which is sorta like an oversize 52
Whats the difference between the 4AL and 4Bl size wise? I've tried a Steven mead 4 on that one worked really good for me but its a euphonium mouthpiece
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

americanbozo wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:36 pm Whats the difference between the 4AL and 4Bl size wise? I've tried a Steven mead 4 on that one worked really good for me but its a euphonium mouthpiece
Cup depth, throat and back bore. The 4AL is often considered to be a euphonium mouthpiece, and is much deeper with a larger throat and back bore than the intended-for-trombone 4BL. There's also a 4ABL that pairs the smaller back end with the deeper cup.

As for recommendations, a Schilke 57 (~26.52mm) might work for you, but could be a bit too deep. Or maybe a 53 (too shallow/narrow?). Ymmv.

Doug Elliott's site has comparison specs for how various pieces compare to each of his series.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

You could always try something like a Hammond 10 or 11, I know those are used by a lot of Drum Corps folk. As a doubler myself I use Brian Hechts “Dub” piece , use it on tenor and euph all the time coming from a Markey 87
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hammond 12XL, 11XL are 51D ish but with larger rims.

Depending on your horn, the Hammond L depth is a perfect match for a lot of marching baritones.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

Random thoughts:

First, the Schilke 51D is a terrible trombone mouthpiece. Too narrow and too deep for most anybody. Try a regular 51, or because it is Schilke, 3 of them.

The Schilke 52 has a small throat and plays weird for me. I'm skeptical of the 53 but might grab one to try someday.

If you really like the deep euph-sized cups, the Schilke 52E2 is a nice mouthpiece. I'd never play it on trombone, though.

The Wick 4AL is similarly-sized to the 52E2, though a different beast. It is popular for a reason!

Have you thought about used Greg Blacks or Griegos? Lots of wide diameter true tenor options. All sorts of combinations of rim depth and cup depth in the big tenor range.

The Ferguson B series 4g and 4g-5g (not Bach clones) are in your ideal price range new, and very well made!

If you are ordering from Steve, it might be worth trying a Faxx 4G (don't judge one Bach or Bach-ish 4G by another).

A Bach 3G is entirely different from a 4G. Even if you hate all 4Gs (it is more likely you only hated the one), a 3G might be worth trying.

More money, even used (often), but your problem seems like what Doug Elliot is built for.

Paul

Return to “Mouthpieces”