Mouthpiece Recommendations for R4

amoss1s

Mouthpiece Recommendations for R4

Post by amoss1s »

Hello all!

In the hunt for a new mouthpiece. I play a Rath R4 with a bronze hand slide, yellow brass tuning pipe and a red brass bell. I’ve been using a Bach corp 6.5 Al, looking for something a little bigger. I like a little more resistance when it comes to the feel . Does anybody have any wisdom on good mouthpiece recommendations? Any experience with a good pair for this particular R4?
BoomtownRath

Re: Mouthpiece Recommendations for R4

Post by BoomtownRath »

Hi,

I've been down the same route after I purchased my first Rath in 2005, went from a Bach 6 1/2AL to a Rath 5, Rath 4 1/2, Rath 4 and finally settled on a Griego Allessi 1F which makes combining with Bass easier. Looking back and knowing what I know now I would contact Doug Elliott. It could save you a lot of time any money searching for the holy grail. I finally took the DE plunge earlier this year for a bass trombone mpc and wish I'd have done so sooner and spared me a drawer full of mouthpieces that are surplus to requirements.

The advantages of using Doug's mouthpieces is that should you develop that you outgrow a mpc then you can change just one part of the mouthpiece, rim, cup or shank. I've reffered two tenor players to doug already and they've been pleased with his recommendations, he keeps working with players to get things right. He can be difficult to pin down sometimes as he is very busy playing as well as making mouthpieces.
amoss1s

Post by amoss1s »

Thank you for the recommendation! Ive been throwing around the idea of getting an Elliott set.
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Doesn’t Carol Jarvis use a DE piece on her R4F?
amoss1s

Post by amoss1s »

Not sure, I’ve used the mouthpieces before, but always ended up selling them, probably unwisely so! Who else uses an R4? What do y’all use?
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I have had my R4F for about 12 years… the mouthpiece that works best for me is a Doug Elliott 100G8. When I put a 4G sized mouthpiece in it really closes off for me… the Elliott really sings. I have an AR Resonance on order to try out… but every time I try a different mouthpiece I end up going back to the Elliott. The AR I’m getting is a bronze mouthpiece… I’m looking to darken the sound, while maintaining the feel I get from the Elliott… we shall see.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

Terry Warburton makes great trombone mouthpieces! Give them a shot as well.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

brumpone wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:46 pm Doesn’t Carol Jarvis use a DE piece on her R4F?
Yes
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

amoss1s wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:05 pm Thank you for the recommendation! Ive been throwing around the idea of getting an Elliott set.
Contact and work with Doug

Return to “Mouthpieces”