The Holy Grail?

Drombone

The Holy Grail?

Post by Drombone »

I am struggling to find a mouthpiece that I get on with for a King 3B.

Rath R4 - Rath L5MD. It's the most comfortable, reliable, easily slottable gob iron I've found.
Holton TR181 - Rath B1 1/2. Same reasons, but bass.
I've got a selection of Wicks, Shilkes and even CLs that I try from time to time, but go back to those 2.

What I have in small shank is

Wick 12CS, 9CS, 7CS, 6BS
Yam 15C, 6 1/2
the 7CS is the best of that bunch.

I've tried Rath M11 MN, S12 BBB, S5 BB and didn't get the same feel that I do with Raths on the other horns. I think a S5 MD, although it may suit my mouth, won't be the right mouthpiece for 1st in a big band

Is there a 5CS anyhere? I like Rath and Shilke rims.

What should I try next? Stomvi? Doug Elliott?

ideas are very gratefully received!

:???: :???: :???:
harrisonreed

Re: The Holy Grail?

Post by harrisonreed »

I have used the DE XT C+ cup with D3 shank in my 3B for 7 years. The rim I use in this setup is a Bousfield V3 rim, but whatever DE rim matches up to what you usually use will be perfect.

Knowing nothing about your playing, I'd suggest the XT103 rim. Seems to be the go-to amongst my colleagues.

Everyone I have suggested this setup to loves it. People who hate playing small bore (but have to for big band, etc) suddenly love small bore when they get this setup.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

DE LT101/C+/D3 would be the closest to a 5CS if that existed

(I have a small shank gold Bach 5GS that might fit - a bit deep for lead though - and, perhaps more suitably, a Warburton that's around 25.8mm diameter and Bach C cup depth. I'm in the UK and they're both sitting around on a shelf - send me a PM if you're interested.)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yep, Elliott C+ cup here as well. Moved from a C awhile ago. Occasionally use an E too on that size.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

C+!!!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

For what it's worth, I've had good luck with a Doug Elliott setup for a King 3B (mine's a 3BF):
Either ST D Cup / D3* Shank or LT D Cup / D3* Shank, with the appropriate Rim for your chops / playing style.
(I use a 99 or 100 Rim.)

I've never tried a C+ Cup - already too many pieces in my DE collection, and what I have works for me!
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Depends on what you’re trying to do with it.
The DE XT 101 C+ combo is a great suggestion, if you’re looking to do more wind band / legit ensemble work a connstellation Remington works really well if you can find one.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, depends. On horns I use in that size, it's DE C-E cups, and 3/4 shanks. Sometimes you want a bigger sound or you might want to play lead on a 3B. DE should have a combo that will work for you. I have an Olds Recording, Yamaha 455 and Conn32h in that 500+ size range. I've owned several 508/509 horns, and DE always has a good answer. My first choice for that horn would be a D3. 3B is brighter than a lot of horns, and you probably want to go with the mouthpiece in the same direction that the horn wants to go, so D3.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I recently started playing a Pickett 6S on my Bach12
Really Comfortable rim and great sound
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

dukesboneman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:03 pm I recently started playing a Pickett 6S on my Bach12
Really Comfortable rim and great sound
I feel weird suggesting mp to people but I will second this by saying I play a Pickett 6M and I don't foresee myself leaving anytime soon big Pickett fan.
Drombone

Post by Drombone »

This horn comes out for 1st and 2nd in big band, and for some pit work. The other 2 do orchestral and wind band
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:04 pm DE LT101/C+/D3 would be the closest to a 5CS if that existed

(I have a small shank gold Bach 5GS that might fit - a bit deep for lead though - and, perhaps more suitably, a Warburton that's around 25.8mm diameter and Bach C cup depth. I'm in the UK and they're both sitting around on a shelf - send me a PM if you're interested.)
A Warburton 9M top and T3 shank could be just right for a King 3B and your needs. Add the 9D top, and you could cover all 3 tenor parts in a big band. I have almost this exact setup (I have the T3 star shank, which has no cylindrical section in the throat).

Big agree that the 5GS is too deep, and also too open; I'd wager that it's too big for anything smaller than .525", except maybe the most open of Shires specs for light classical (most open tuning slide, .508", etc). Even a Bach 5 (no letter) is too large for lead, though it might be ok for 2nd and excellent for 3rd.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

XT C+/D3 for me. Usually a 104 but if I'm doing lead playing I'll use a 101. I have Wedge screw rims that fit my Elliotts, they really make a difference in terms of flexibility.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Jazz tenor (.500 bore). My own design based on a Bach 11c
Large bore (.547) Marcinkiewicz Byron Peebles signature
Bass bone (.571 bore) Parker Dunkle mouthpiece

These work fine for me. Zero complaints. The jazz piece I play is being copied for resale by Houser mouthpiece. Will be available on his website sometime in 2023 in stainless steel with titanium H coated 1 piece cup/rim (in black) and a bronze screw in backbore. Similar to picket’s Fedchock piece, or marcinkiwicz Loper signature piece. Sculpted exterior with my throat.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

I'm a big fan of my Yamaha 48 and my Schilke 50C4. DE's chart says similar rim size to the 7CS, but with a slightly shallower C-ish cup. I don't have a 7CS, but the 48 and 50C4 I have are remarkably similar depths. 50C4s aren't that common (I'm looking for more to try). There are lots and lots of Yamaha 48s in the world--even slightly different exterior profiles from different eras!

Some folks like Shires 11Cs in the same rough size range, but mine is listed for sale because I don't. The Ferguson 11 is popular and bigger than other 11cs, I hear. Steve is a good guy and they are well made. I've never tried one as the "rounder rim" description usually doesn't work for me. I'll try a Yamaha Nils if I stumble on one that is cheap enough.

Paul

Return to “Mouthpieces”