Greg Black Alessi 5

SamuraiTb

Greg Black Alessi 5

Post by SamuraiTb »

Hello.
I am using GB Alessi5.
It's not on sale at the moment, so I can't prepare a spare.
Which GB is the most similar to Alessi5 now?
Also, I am looking for GB similar to Alessi5.5.
NY5 lineup?or normal 4.5 lineup?
Please let me know.
CalgaryTbone

Re: Greg Black Alessi 5

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The NY series is the replacement for the Alessi series. They are very similar, although some people find that there are subtle differences. The 4.5 series would have a similar sized rim, but differences in the rim shape and throat/backbores.

Jim Scott
SamuraiTb

Post by SamuraiTb »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:44 am The NY series is the replacement for the Alessi series. They are very similar, although some people find that there are subtle differences. The 4.5 series would have a similar sized rim, but differences in the rim shape and throat/backbores.

Jim Scott
Thank you Jim!
Cefe

Post by Cefe »

Hello everyone,

I have a suggestion.

I have a Greg Black Joseph Alessi 5.5

And I would like to have the Greg Black Joseph Alessi 5

I would like to make a mouthpiece change.

If anyone is interested in making the change, I am willing to do it.

My mouthpiece is in good condition.

Thank you for reading me,

Cefe
Garoissimo

Post by Garoissimo »

You want the New York 5M, it will be nearly identical to the Black-Alessi 5M. Both have the 'GS style medium cup' and identical inner rim Dia and fat rounded style rim.

Though I haven't tried 2 of the exact same number, if you like the Alessi 5.5M then I think you will also love the New York 5M. It is a near certainty. And you certainly will not find ANYTHING closer to the original Alessi 5M. Order same number, get same piece basically. 5M Alessi = 5M New York.

The New York's are exquisitely beautiful playing pieces, look, play and feel almost identical to the Black-Alessi design. You'll likely never find a person willing to give up their Black-Alessi piece, not at any price. This is because they are the greatest mouthpieces ever made for tenor trombone. :cool:

So, just try the New York. You won't be disappointed.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Garoissimo wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:35 pm You want the New York 5M, it will be nearly identical to the Black-Alessi 5M. Both have the 'GS style medium cup' and identical inner rim Dia and fat rounded style rim.

Though I haven't tried 2 of the exact same number, if you like the Alessi 5.5M then I think you will also love the New York 5M. It is a near certainty. And you certainly will not find ANYTHING closer to the original Alessi 5M. Order same number, get same piece basically. 5M Alessi = 5M New York.

The New York's are exquisitely beautiful playing pieces, look, play and feel almost identical to the Black-Alessi design. You'll likely never find a person willing to give up their Black-Alessi piece, not at any price. This is because they are the greatest mouthpieces ever made for tenor trombone. :cool:

So, just try the New York. You won't be disappointed.
:???: :???: :???:

I see these for sale all the time.
Garoissimo

Post by Garoissimo »

Oh, well, then buy one I guess. I could not find any Black-Alessi pieces for sale when I looked a few months ago. I guess I was looking in the wrong places. That's why I wound up trying out the New York and liked it.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Garoissimo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:26 pm Oh, well, then buy one I guess. I could not find any Black-Alessi pieces for sale when I looked a few months ago. I guess I was looking in the wrong places. That's why I wound up trying out the New York and liked it.
I guess the older ones that are stamped "Joseph Alessi" are harder to find. I had heard that the newer NY models are slightly different, I'm not sure in what way. I do have an Alessi 3M that I acquired a few months ago via trade, but I don't use it, so I should sell it.
Garoissimo

Post by Garoissimo »

Yeah, I have actually not tried the New York comparing it to a same model original Black-Alessi. I do read here that some find them to be the same, or nearly the same, others find them to feel and play a bit differently.

What I did do was buy a New York 7M to upgrade from the Bach 5GS I would normally use for small bore bone work, and for this I found I liked the way the New York feels.

Return to “Mouthpieces”