Alto trombone Cup Depths

BrianJohnston

Alto trombone Cup Depths

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

I'm looking to educate myself a bit more on what the typical alto trombone mouthpiece cup depths are. I really like my FA3 & 12s on alto, but i'm looking to see what the typical depths are for alto mouthpieces.

Based on my knowledge thus far, it seems most common alto mouthpieces are between:

23mm - 25mm

Anybody have additional knowledge on this subject?
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
tbonesullivan

Re: Alto trombone Cup Depths

Post by tbonesullivan »

I'm not sure there really is one at present, as the most popular altos on the market now vary pretty widely in bore size, bell size, and overall sound. The few people I know playing alto regularly use a significantly smaller rim diameter on alto when compared to their tenor playing. Like a 7c / 11c, maybe smaller, and sometimes with a smaller cup. It is really going to depend on what you are blending with, and what alto in particular you are using.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
dcslideman

Post by dcslideman »

I would be considered an expert by nobody, but I chose to play a Bach 12C or 15C (24.4mm) usually. When I wanted to sound more trumpet-like, I had a small Shilke 43A(23.5mm). Since I no longer dabble with alto, any of these would be for sale if someone wanted.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The DE A cup is my fave. The Lindberg 15CL is a little deeper and is also very good.

I think a lot of folks are using mouthpieces that have way too much internal volume for alto. It should have some snap in the sound, but even on some solo albums you hear this "fuzzy" alto sound.

How are you measuring cup depth? I think cup volume is more useful, but either way you need an end point. Is it the narrowest part of the throat? The end of the entrance to the throat? The point where the throat entrance bends away from the cup?
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:35 pm The DE A cup is my fave. The Lindberg 15CL is a little deeper and is also very good.

I think a lot of folks are using mouthpieces that have way too much internal volume for alto. It should have some snap in the sound, but even on some solo albums you hear this "fuzzy" alto sound.

How are you measuring cup depth? I think cup volume is more useful, but either way you need an end point. Is it the narrowest part of the throat? The end of the entrance to the throat? The point where the throat entrance bends away from the cup?
I'm figuring it out based on websites mm description of cups. My favorite alto sound has been the Yamaha 46c2, but not an adequate rim for me.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Im liking my DE B+ cup.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Bach 12E is a good alto mouthpiece. I don't know the depth or specifics, but it is rather shallow. It gives a real nice light alto sound and that's what I want

/Tom
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In my stuff, A, B, B+, C, C+ cups are all reasonable on alto. Personally I prefer the bigger sound of a C+, but then I would play soft so although it's "bigger" it doesn't have to be overbearing.

And I use the same XT N104 rim I use on all tenors. Alto doesn't play any different range than I do playing lead in a big band on a small tenor... and alto is easier... so a smaller rim would only be a disadvantage. I like being able to pick up any size horn and feel immediately at home.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

For my 36H, my go-to piece is a DE ST95 C with the Alto S shank. It works very well for me.

But if the gig requires a change between Alto and large bore tenor, I use the Christian Lindberg 15CL and 5CL.
On rare occasions, when the alto part is constantly high (Handel's "Israel in Egypt") I have used a Schilke 40, but that takes some getting used to!

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I use a 95B… it works well for me.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I use a Bach 7C Megatone turned down by Ken Titmus (KT Custom Mouthpieces)
so more metal than a standard 7C but less than a Megatone. Works great on my Weril Alto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Mouthpieces”