Mouthpieces

BrassSection

Mouthpieces

Post by BrassSection »

As a relative rookie compared to most of you on here, in spite of playing low brass since the 60s, I have a question about my euphonium mouthpiece to throw out there. Horn is a 4 valve Old euph, with “Large shank” mouthpiece. Never was happy with the Olds 3 that came with it, primarily used an old Bach 12 I’ve had for years with an adapter. Finally upgraded to a 6 1/2 AL large shank. Must have a dreaded Mid size receiver, new mouthpiece fits in about 3/8 to half of an inch. Fits tight, plays nice, and no tuning issues, just looks a little odd protruding as it does. Question is, do I just live with the looks, or have some custom work done? It plays fine and I’m loving the results, so don’t really want to get onto more expense if there is no real need to. Thoughts and comments welcome and encouraged.
tbonesullivan

Re: Mouthpieces

Post by tbonesullivan »

If it works and doesn't fall out, I wouldn't see a real reason to mess with it. They would basically have to turn down the shank on the mouthpiece to make it fit. I think Denis Wick mouthpieces and Schilke are the only ones I see that make Medium shank mouthpieces standard.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's certainly not ideal but if it works for you and whatever playing you're doing, you can just keep doing it. Meanwhile look for a medium shank 6-1/2, I'm sure they exist. Or small shank and use your adaptor.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Denis Wick makes a 6BM - his version of the 6.5AL (more or less) with a medium shank. It would be the closest mpc. to what you're playing now that would fit and would be fairly inexpensive. It is worth having a mpc.that fits in the receiver - it will play better and will be better in tune.

Jim Scott
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Appreciate the replies! Although my Dad was a baritone player and I followed in his footsteps, the euph was a combined present in the 90s from many family members. Although it is the horn I enjoy the most, it usually only gets used about once a month in church for maybe one song. Trumpet and tenor trombone get equal major time weekly, euph and French horn share duties only when a more mellow sound is needed. Unfortunately my trumpet gets the most play time, unless we put together a brass ensemble for special occasions, and even then sometimes I have to cover 1st trumpet. Got lucky one year and scored the tuba part. I guess the plan will be to stifle my OCD and not let the looks bother me.

Return to “Mouthpieces”