Griego Classic Small Bore Mouthpieces - experience?

tbonesullivan

Griego Classic Small Bore Mouthpieces - experience?

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just wondering if anyone has had a lot of experience with the Griego Classic Small Bore line of mouthpieces, particularly the 4.5 and 4 models. I can find plenty on the Alessi / Artist line and also the bass trombone mouthpieces, but there's not much discussion on the small bore offerings. This would be for use with a Bach 36B.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Arvopart17

Re: Griego Classic Small Bore Mouthpieces - experience?

Post by Arvopart17 »

I had a 4D Artist small shank that worked great on a 36B. Nice full sound. It’s a lighter weight piece than I was expecting, more like the Nouveau blank, but very comfortable.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Arvopart17 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:25 pm I had a 4D Artist small shank that worked great on a 36B. Nice full sound. It’s a lighter weight piece than I was expecting, more like the Nouveau blank, but very comfortable.
I looked at the Artist series, but they don't have any pieces that are really the size I like, 25.9mm or 1.02inches. The 5 is 1.0245, and the 6 is 1.014.

The "Classic series" 4 is right at 1.02 / 25.9mm, right where I like it. But they don't offer the multiple depths like the Artist series does.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
JMudge

Post by JMudge »

I can’t really speak for the specific sizes you mentioned in the small bore series, but I really like the 6.5. I have it in the NY blank. I’ve mainly used it on 508 small bores, but did pop it into a 36B just briefly and it was a decent combo. For me it’s a comfortable, solid, responsive piece. For the non-existent small bore playing I do, it’s just fine.

Now, one of the reasons I like it is because I use the NY 4 on my large tenor. There’s a very similar feel between those pieces for me. It also seems that I always come back to the NY 4 no matter what else I try for the large horn. If I needed a match for a 36B consistently then I would definitely try the classic small bore 4. Like you probably know, the throat is paired down and I believe the cup is too. I think the cup volume on the small bore compares more to the large bore 4M, but don’t quote me on it. Someone else or Griego could confirm that.

I never really got along with the 4.5 size, so I can’t offer anything there. I hope some of this helps.

J
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

JMudge wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:30 pmNow, one of the reasons I like it is because I use the NY 4 on my large tenor. There’s a very similar feel between those pieces for me. It also seems that I always come back to the NY 4 no matter what else I try for the large horn. If I needed a match for a 36B consistently then I would definitely try the classic small bore 4. Like you probably know, the throat is paired down and I believe the cup is too. I think the cup volume on the small bore compares more to the large bore 4M, but don’t quote me on it. Someone else or Griego could confirm that.

I never really got along with the 4.5 size, so I can’t offer anything there. I hope some of this helps.

J
I think I'll fire off an email to Griego and see what they say. I usually liked a 6 1/2AL for playing a medium bore, and on paper the Small Bore 4 looks to have a smaller throat and maybe cup than that.

Return to “Mouthpieces”