Wick Heritage vs Wick Standard

Model34

Wick Heritage vs Wick Standard

Post by Model34 »

Your thoughts and experiences please.
henrysa

Re: Wick Heritage vs Wick Standard

Post by henrysa »

4 AL recent purchase and 5ABL. For my chops 4 AL is by far better. In range and tone. Previous was Bach 6 1/2 AL. Play a King 4B
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Different animals
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Don't like either on trom.
Have used standard on all other brass instruments (except French Horn).
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Heritage seems to be a bit faster and lighter in response from my comparison. The Heritage rim is something you either love or hate I guess. I don't think it works well for many players. Also the Heritage makes it easy to play loud and be efficient with air, but for me it's too zingy especially when you open up. I've played two Heritages for a while but changed back to the standard ones after a short time.

And one more important thing: Heritage is always gold rim, which moves much more than silver and therefore isn't super helpful for many people.
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

My understanding is that the Heritage mpcs are made out of nickel silver which on its own will change the feel and sound.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

PhilE wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:11 am My understanding is that the Heritage mpcs are made out of nickel silver which on its own will change the feel and sound.
I don't think so. Not so indicated on the Denis Wick Website:
https://www.deniswick.com/product/herit ... m-and-cup/

I believe they are machined brass - silver-plated, with gold-plated rim and cup.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have threaded some. They are not brass.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:49 pm I have threaded some. They are not brass.
Very interesting!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ajeasley

Post by ajeasley »

I played a 4AL Heritage for awhile on trombone. I was and still am a euphonium player first and foremost, and at the time it was a mouthpiece that worked well enough on both instruments. I never a/b'ed it against a standard 4AL and sold it awhile back after I went to DE stuff on everything.

The rim is polarizing. I actually really liked it. Response was good for what it was. I don't know if the concept of "Wick fuzz" in the sound is as much of a thing on trombone as it is on euphonium, but it drove me nuts on euphonium and I hear it on trombone as well. The piece was also horn-sensitive: it worked great on one horn and badly on the next (this was on euphonium). I recall that Denis Wick designed the 4AL for himself when he was playing principal bone in the LSO, and it clearly worked well for him. Personally, I wouldn't hate using it if I was playing 2nd in a band or orchestra.

I do have a standard 4BL that works better on trombone (closer to the cup depth that works for me on large tenor). Based on that apples to oranges comparison, I would guess that the standard is a little more focused, but I'm really spitballing there.

TLDR: the heritage seems to be love it or hate it based on the rim contour in your preferred size.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Standard feels more sound forward, Heritage more in the cup.
jackbasstrombone

Post by jackbasstrombone »

I love my Heritage, but playing really loud it gets really edgy

Return to “Mouthpieces”