New Mouthpiece For Small Bore Jazz

Beanett

New Mouthpiece For Small Bore Jazz

Post by Beanett »

I'm currently playing 2nd trombone in the jazz orchestra that I'm a part of and I'm using a Vincent Bach Corp 7C on my Selmer Special 23 (K modified).

On my large bore tenor I use a Denis Wick 4AL which I really enjoy and I'm trying to find a new mouthpiece that would suit my horn and playing better. I've heard mixed reviews about Denis Wick's smaller mouthpieces and I'm open to trying different brands, I just find the Denis Wick very comfortable to play on.

Does anyone have good suggestions that have the feel of a Denis Wick but are small enough for jazz 2nd chair?
officermayo

Re: New Mouthpiece For Small Bore Jazz

Post by officermayo »

I have a gold plated DW 10CS you may be interested in. Let me know.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

As far as I know, a Bach 7C should "suit [your] horn." They can be quite good. But perhaps just not such a good fit for your face or your playing style.

You have just opened Pandora's box with this question, since almost every TromboneChat member has a favorite small-bore mouthpiece. Good luck sifting through the suggestions!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If you'd like to keep the same rim size and relative feel of the 4AL rim, my LT or XT 102 or 103 with a C or C+ cup would be a good choice.

Yes they're expensive but it saves the trouble of going through a bunch of things you don't like first.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Before I got my Doug Elliott setup (LT102/E) I played a Bach 4C mouthpiece. Similar rim size to a 4BL (my large bore mouthpiece) but more suited to a small bore horn.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

My primary horn for years was a large bore tenor with a Bach 5G Megatone. I tried a variety of mouthpieces when I started playing my small bore in a big band and found the Bach 5 Doug suggested really opened up the horn. He nailed it so I got one of his custom pieces. The man knows what he is talking about.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Go with Doug
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Doug Elliott wrote: ↑Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:42 pm If you'd like to keep the same rim size and relative feel of the 4AL rim, my LT or XT 102 or 103 with a C or C+ cup would be a good choice.

Yes they're expensive but it saves the trouble of going through a bunch of things you don't like first.
THIS πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†
Very similar to the solution Doug provided me with. He has a very fair returns policy. I sold mouthpieces that I’d accumulated in my search for mouthpiece heaven. That search is over 😊
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Beanett wrote: ↑Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:43 pmOn my large bore tenor I use a Denis Wick 4AL which I really enjoy and I'm trying to find a new mouthpiece that would suit my horn and playing better. I've heard mixed reviews about Denis Wick's smaller mouthpieces and I'm open to trying different brands, I just find the Denis Wick very comfortable to play on.

Does anyone have good suggestions that have the feel of a Denis Wick but are small enough for jazz 2nd chair?
I have a Wick 7CS which might be a standard recommendation here, but honestly the rim feels very different than the Wick 4-sized rims I use (4BS for "big tenor" sound on midbore, 4AM on euph) and is a bit of a struggle for me to play on, didn't seem to help my high range at all. Sizing down in the same brand doesn't guarantee that your comfort will translate, so your best bet might be to take Doug up on his recommendations.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

spencercarran wrote: ↑Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:21 am
Beanett wrote: ↑Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:43 pmOn my large bore tenor I use a Denis Wick 4AL which I really enjoy and I'm trying to find a new mouthpiece that would suit my horn and playing better. I've heard mixed reviews about Denis Wick's smaller mouthpieces and I'm open to trying different brands, I just find the Denis Wick very comfortable to play on.

Sizing down in the same brand doesn't guarantee that your comfort will translate, so your best bet might be to take Doug up on his recommendations.
Good suggestion - IF you like Doug Elliott rims! I'm quite comfortable with them (I get along with a variety of mouthpieces/rims), but some folks (see above) are quite "rim sensitive."

Return to β€œMouthpieces”