The ONE !! Finally

dukesboneman

The ONE !! Finally

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve never been satisfied with my mouthpieces for my 42BO. For Trombone Quartet playing (since I do the majority of the 1st parts) I`ve been using a Schilke 51C4 and I`ve been getting good results. I`ve tried a lot of different mouthpieces and the 51C4 was the best I found.
A couple months ago one of the players in a High End Wind Ensemble I play in and he`s also in the Quartet was playing a mouthpiece with an outer shape I was not familiar with at all. Come to find out he had an original Minnick 5G. At the next Quartet rehearsal he let me try the Minnick. I`ve never played a large bore mouthpiece like this. I played the entire 2 hour rehearsal with it. I wasn`t nearly as tired, The sound was really clean and clear. NO "stuff" around the outside of a note. The upper range was Soooooo easy.
I played the next 2 rehearsals on it and it was just so easy to play.
Of course he wouldn`t sell it. Neither would I. After all it`s an original Minnick!!
So, I contacted Ken Titmus at KT Custom Mouthpieces in Orlando, could he make a copy?
YES !! Extremely fair price and I received it the other day and I love it !!
Need mouthpiece work done, Ken is THE GUY to contact
The 1st Picture is the KTCM copy and the 2nd is the original Minnick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bach5G

Re: The ONE !! Finally

Post by Bach5G »

Comparable to Ferguson’s?
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

Ferguson 1 and 2 are Minick copies and sell for $140 at The Horn Guys. They are both based on the Minick 5G. (Yes, Minick is spelled with one "n.") Glad you found a mouthpiece that you like. Larry had some really good design skills and the top LA players to test his stuff out.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Glad you found a mouthpiece that really works for you! I think there are players who can do reasonably well on an assortment of mouthpieces and others who really need to lock in on "the one" to perform at their best. I am definitely one of the latter. Thus, I appreciate your quest!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

The More I play this mouthpiece the more I like it.
I feel (On my end of the horn) that it`s Bright sounding but very clean and clear
The guys in my Trombone Quartet told me that on their end it sounds very dark and dense with very little high overtones
I like it

Return to “Mouthpieces”