Small Shank Euphonium Mouthpiece for Bass Trombone Player

AndyG

Small Shank Euphonium Mouthpiece for Bass Trombone Player

Post by AndyG »

My Daughter is in the 2nd year of high school playing Bass Trombone. Using a SE Shires 1 1/2 MD mouthpiece. She has been asked to also cover the Euphonium parts. The school has provided a Yamaha 321 with the stock Yamaha 48 mouthpiece in the case. Given this instrument requires a small shank mouthpiece options are limited for larger size mouthpieces.

Reading through the forum, it looks like the Denis Wick 4AY and Schilke 51D are suggested small shank mouthpieces for someone use to a larger mouthpiece that is suitable for a Yamaha 321. Are there any other mouthpieces to consider?
BGuttman

Re: Small Shank Euphonium Mouthpiece for Bass Trombone Player

Post by BGuttman »

They are very rare, but there is a Bach 1.5G with a small shank.

The Warburton shanks are interchangeable across the range, so I have mated a 3B bass cup with a SYM 6 shank (small shank).

You can get a small shank for an Elliott system. A SB J mouthpiece with a J4 shank should work. Kind of expensive, though.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Kelly do a plastic small shank 1.5!
Wick 4AY work well in small shank euphos.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I use a Warburton small shank 4G on the 321. Works well on the horn and I find it works for me when changing between euphonium and bass bone.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I can put a small shank on a 27mm (~1.5gish) no problem in my line.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

All of my mouthpieces can have a small shank. SB series would work but I would probably suggest a EUPH series 108 rim with a G cup and a G4 shank.

But it also depends on how her range is on bass trombone, and how her overall playing is. Keeping the same rim size may be helpful, but not necessarily.

http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/basstrb.html

The EUPH series doesn't list a 108 rim, but I make lots of stuff that's not listed, including that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

AS someone that doubles all the time, here`s my 2 cents.
I use a Bach 1 1/GM on my Bass Trombone, it was recommended to me to use a Wick 4AY, I also use a Yamaha 321 Euphonium.
I`ve had no trouble going back and forth between the 2 mouthpieces.
The 51D is a much smaller rim size.
See if the School will pay for the mouthpiece as they are asking her to cover the parts
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

The Schilke 52D is available in small shank, as is the even deeper 52E2. As noted, the 51D is smaller.

I'm not sure what the Shires rim contour is like, but the Wick rim may be polarizing in feel. Love/disdain, usually with no in between. Ymmv.
BGuttman wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:43 am ...The Warburton shanks are interchangeable across the range, so I have mated a 3B bass cup with a SYM 6 shank (small shank)....
Very curious about this, as my small and large shank Warburton pieces are NOT compatible with each other. (Though maybe it's only between the small cups vs large cups and respective backbore shanks, i.e. S/M/D tops and T shanks vs ST and B series...) Perhaps a custom shank, or an option not listed on their site? If the OP goes this route, it's kinda spendy and may be more worth the extra expense to go through Doug Elliott.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
AndyG

Post by AndyG »

Decided to go with the 4AY. Found a good condition 2nd hand one. Had a large shank DW 5AL & Schilke 52 for her to try out. She preferred the Denis Wick so going that way.
Thanks for the input everyone.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

On The 321 the Wick 4AY just sings

Return to “Mouthpieces”