Best way to gold plate a mouthpiece?

Levito

Best way to gold plate a mouthpiece?

Post by Levito »

I know, another post but I got another question. I believe I have a nickel allergy and am having an allergic reaction to my mouthpiece. It is a Bach brand Bach 5G and is great accept for the fact that it is causing acne and breakouts on my face. My teacher advised me to get it gold plated and I’m not exactly sure how to go about that. Should I just get another mouthpiece with gold plating or should I find my a local brass repairman and get it plated there? Also is this something that will cost like $50 or $150?
Doug Elliott

Re: Best way to gold plate a mouthpiece?

Post by Doug Elliott »

Nickel allergy is pretty common but mouthpieces don't have any nickel... It's silver and some people react to that too. But it would only be where it contacts you, not other places on your face.

A good goldplate job would be closer to $150 for a whole mouthpiece. I don't generally recommend it unless you know you're allergic to silver.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Levito

Post by Levito »

It definety is only where it touches my face (more specifically my bottom lip and the area just below my bottom lip) And if I were to go on vacation for a week and come back my face would be clear. If I had to guess I’d say it’s an allergic reaction because I do everything I can to prevent it. I wash my mouthpiece every time I play, wash my face twice a day, keep my lips and chin area moisturized.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Perhaps try clear nail polish on the rim surface to see if that prevents the irritation/reaction?

--Andy in OKC
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Not clear that replating the mouthpiece would be any help in this instance.

In any case, Dave Friedman offers excellent mouthpiece plating (silver or gold) at reasonable prices, with rapid turnaround time:
https://mouthpieceplatingservice.com/
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I used to think silver plate tore my face up, but that wasn't it at all. I prefer silver now. Answer these questions:

1) Do I put my mouthpiece "rim down" on the table?
2) Do I use silver polish on my mouthpiece?
3) Do I just throw my mouthpiece in the slot in the case, or in my pocket, etc, instead of using a cushy mouthpiece case?
4) Do I never clean my mouthpiece?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions, my guess is that the surface of the rim is scratched, compromised, or just plain gross and it's the imperfections, scratches, or bacteria that is tearing it up on your lips. I know -- I did all 4 of those things in high school and my lips got torn to shreds. Once I started just using mild soap to clean it and nothing abrasive, and started using a mouthpiece case instead of a table, the lip problems went away.

If you answered no to everything, the best way is to just send it out to one of the services listed on the thread that was about online plating services -- Bach's house plating usually sucks. They may have changed that, but it's not like the plating that DE or Griego does. It should be a deep gold color, and not bright and yellow silver in color.
Cas

Post by Cas »

Levito wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:29 pm It definety is only where it touches my face (more specifically my bottom lip and the area just below my bottom lip) And if I were to go on vacation for a week and come back my face would be clear. If I had to guess I’d say it’s an allergic reaction because I do everything I can to prevent it. I wash my mouthpiece every time I play, wash my face twice a day, keep my lips and chin area moisturized.
I have an issue somewhat similar to this. My lower lip gets "crunchy" and irritated like its a scab on the part below my lip but above my chin. I am not allergic to any metals HOWEVER I have found this issue is caused by me putting too much pressure on my lips when I play. If this sounds like the same issue, maybe next time you go on a break try and just hold the mouthpiece to your face, with no pressure, if it still happens then its a problem with the metal most likely.

This could help, or not idk. its just whats happened to me, but who knows!
sleepy college student from the PNW
Conn 4h (Connstellation Remington)
Conn 75h Tenor (Bach 5g)
Yamaha YBL-830 Xeno Bass (Ferguson L)
Levito

Post by Levito »

Cas wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:01 am
Levito wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:29 pm It definety is only where it touches my face (more specifically my bottom lip and the area just below my bottom lip) And if I were to go on vacation for a week and come back my face would be clear. If I had to guess I’d say it’s an allergic reaction because I do everything I can to prevent it. I wash my mouthpiece every time I play, wash my face twice a day, keep my lips and chin area moisturized.
I have an issue somewhat similar to this. My lower lip gets "crunchy" and irritated like its a scab on the part below my lip but above my chin. I am not allergic to any metals HOWEVER I have found this issue is caused by me putting too much pressure on my lips when I play. If this sounds like the same issue, maybe next time you go on a break try and just hold the mouthpiece to your face, with no pressure, if it still happens then its a problem with the metal most likely.

This could help, or not idk. its just whats happened to me, but who knows!

Definetly an allergy. Used a plastic mouthpiece today and had no issues. Gonna get my mp gold plated hopefully should solve the probelm
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Levito wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:45 pm Definetly an allergy. Used a plastic mouthpiece today and had no issues. Gonna get my mp gold plated hopefully should solve the probelm
Doug Elliott makes mouthpiece rims of Lexan (polycarbonate). Non-allergenic. As with all of Doug's products, their quality is excellent - identical to his plated brass rims except for the material. These would be a good solution for you to explore with Doug during your upcoming lesson.

Good luck!

Return to “Mouthpieces”