Two [EDIT: Three] mouthpiece questions!

Digidog

Two [EDIT: Three] mouthpiece questions!

Post by Digidog »

Good (Swedish) evening, common wisdom of TC!

Since I've bought a new bass, the 62H mentioned in another thread (a NHD will be posted too), I've found that my current mpc doesn't fit - it's possible to wiggle when inserted, and sometimes does when playing. It's like the measurements of the mouthpiece doesn't match the lead pipe. I play a Bach 1,5G. The Yamaha 58 I have, but which doesn't fit me and my playing, fits perfectly without any wiggle room.

I've tried to tape it, but that doesn't help.

I may have to buy a new mpc, but I have some questions:

1) There are both Bach 1,5G and 1,5GM; what's the difference?

2) Have anyone tried Best Brass mouthpieces? I'm not in a position to easily try one, and it's not a mpc I'd just buy; but I'm curious to hear if anyone knows anything, or have some experience to share.

3) Are there other, really good substitutes from other brands, for a 1,5G? I have nothing against slight variations in specs, but my general area of specs is around the 1,5G.

In the end, I'm not overly mouthpiece sensitive, so any input is useful, but I'll start with what I know works - and that is the 1,5G.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Elow

Re: Two [EDIT: Three] mouthpiece questions!

Post by Elow »

Symington 1.5, best 1.5 size i’ve tried
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Elow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:36 pm Symington 1.5, best 1.5 size i’ve tried
What makes it good? Comfy rim? Fantastic throat? Specially shaped cup?

Spill the beans!
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Elow

Post by Elow »

Digidog wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:44 pm
Elow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:36 pm Symington 1.5, best 1.5 size i’ve tried
What makes it good? Comfy rim? Fantastic throat? Specially shaped cup?

Spill the beans!
Honestly, who knows. It works well for me though! Great compact bass trombone sound with lots of lovely warmth.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The leadpipe in your Conn 62H (like other Conn large-bore trombones of the same era) has a different taper than "standard" large-shank mouthpieces. The result is that a "standard taper" large-shank mouthpiece (such as a Bach 1½G) will inevitably wobble a bit when inserted into a Conn tapered mouthpiece receiver. [As I understand it] the old Conn taper (sometimes called the "Remington" taper) is similar to a Brown & Sharp machine taper, and mouthpieces (such as the "Remington" mouthpiece supplied with old Conn 88H [etc.] trombones) will fit those receivers perfectly, without wobbling. "Standard" large-shank mouthpiece shanks are made with a slightly different "Morse" taper, and will wobble.

At some point (in the mid-1970s or perhaps a bit later) Conn finally conformed to the industry-wide standard, and began manufacturing trombones with "standard" taper receivers, so the issue you are confronting no longer exists with more recent Conn trombones.

Fortunately, Conn also manufactured bass trombone mouthpieces with the "Remington" taper. I have a Conn 71H bass trombone from 1969 with the same issue as your 62H, but I was able to get my hands on a Conn
Connstellation 3B mouthpiece which fits it perfectly, and plays well. I also found a Schilke 58 with a "Remington" taper which fits the 71H. You should search for such a mouthpiece. (TromboneChat members may be able to assist.) The Symington 1.5, or any other standard shank mouthpiece, will wobble in your trombone!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Digidog wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:31 pm 1) There are both Bach 1,5G and 1,5GM; what's the difference?
From the specifications charts:
Bach 1½G: ~27.00mm Cup I.D., 7.04mm throat. (Cup I.D.s were not consistent over the various manufacturing periods!) Morse taper
Bach 1½GM: ~27.00mm Cup I.D., 8.00mm throat. Morse taper
..... [Very large throat and larger backbore than the 1½G - perhaps developed to compensate for the restrictive valves of Bach 2-rotor bass trombones! I think they are air hogs, and would "overmatch" your 62H, even with the correct taper.]

Conn Connstellation 3B: ~27.10mm Cup I.D., 7.49mm throat. "Remington" taper
Schilke 58: ~27.20mm Cup I.D, 7.67mm throat. Normally Morse taper. But may be available with "Remington" taper (special order).
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are Bach mouthpieces with "Remington" shanks. They will usually have an R. I had a 5G-R which I sold to a friend who really loved it on her 88H.

Schilke used to provide a long shank that fit both tapers. Newer Schilke's will not fit properly.

Doug Elliott will make a shank to fit the Conn taper for any of his mouthpieces.

Note: Bach GM has a larger diameter aperture than the regular G. I have a 1 1/4 GM that was a real air hog compared to similarly sized mouthpieces.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I let Karl Hammond make me a 20BL with Remington taper. It was a special order and cost me a little extra. A Hammond 20BL is about the size of a Bach 1 1/4G. I think the 19BL is about the same as a Bach 1 1/2G if that's the one you need.

/Tom
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Since it’s not already mentioned, Reeves sleeves can be retrofitted to a piece and make it so it can be used in both standard (Morse?) and Remington shanks easily. If you’ve got a piece you love then that’s an easy route.

Best brass is very popular, very much for modern horns so your success may vary depending on the sound you’re going for. Personally, I have found Griego, Greg Black and Doug Elliot all make pieces that are just as good or better and are more easily accessible.

The 1.5 size is going through a renaissance right now, Bob Reeves has some great stuff made in collaboration with Martin Schippers in addition to there “Mr. bass”, Brian Hecht and Griego have some great sizes in that range both in the regular line and Brian’s Artist line and Symington is a modern copy of the older bachs, just as expensive but not as rare, still harder to find then a Best brass, GB, DE or Griego.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I use a Bach 1 1/2GM and Love it ! I`m having Ken at K Custom Mouthpieces in Orlando fit a Wick Tone Booster fit the 1 1/2GM slots way better. I know it`s the same idea as a Megatone but now I can have the Megatone sound and the regular feel without changing mouthpieces.
As BigBadandBass said, the 1 1/2 sizes are going thru a renaissance. My opinion is that Bass Trombonists have gone so far into the Bigger is better realm that it`s become harder and harder to get the sound and the "Edge" needed sometimes without blowing the solder joints off the horn. But The "Classic" Bass Trombone sound everyone reveres is George Roberts' sound - 1 1/2G

Return to “Mouthpieces”