Bach Mt. Vernon pieces - again...

EriKon

Bach Mt. Vernon pieces - again...

Post by EriKon »

Okay, so this is something that I just don't understand:
Why are those so expensive besides of the fact that they're vintage and rare? I see those going away for 400 - 500$ regularly... Let's compare it to other stuff: If you buy a mp from Doug you'll pay sth like 200$. The stuff from Doug that I've played so far has been great and honestly I can't imagine any improvement that would be worth to double the price. In addition, I have a wonderful Schilke 51 for large bore instruments which I bought for like 100€ some time ago.
So, question is: What is it that justifies such a price for those pieces? And what does they have what other pieces don't have?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer while browsing through the older topics.
Rob1662

Re: Bach Mt. Vernon pieces - again...

Post by Rob1662 »

The capitalist system of supply against demand, not many about and loads of people want one. My 1.5H MV went for £370 five years ago - the Symington I replaced it with is loads better🤣
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They're magic. :idk:

And no, that's not sarcastic. There is something about them that not present in almost anything else.

And if you play one of those sizes, you might be willing to play the premium for one.

I have an MV 6.5AL that is obviously by and far away my best example. Amazing sound, crazy high range.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Supply and demand. Not all NY and MV pieces are worth $400+ but the larger sizes are very very rare (and also these tend to be the sizes most people play nowadays, so not just collectible but also playable). There is a finite supply of original unmodified vintage Bach mouthpieces. Many of the pieces from modern makers are copies or copies of copies of these original Bach pieces (not all, but Bach was the first to really build out a full mouthpiece catalog). Prices for collectibles are set on what people will pay... if you're a collector, a player or both and you want an original piece from the original maker, the cost is justified...for example, a classic car analogy: there are many modern makers that make replicas of the famous Shelby Cobra roadster, but if you want a real one you're going to pay millions of dollars because there is a finite supply and Carroll Shelby was involved in the production of that car.. add extra if there is historical significance. Does that mean its better or worse than the modern replica for a fraction of the price, not necessarily, but the buyer has other motivations for the justification of the value. MV and NY mouthpieces have been selling in the $400-$500 range for years and will continue to do so.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

To me they have something special to them. Placebo? Maybe.

What I do know is the Symington 1½G plays very similar to the MV 1½G's I tried. Somehow Bill managed to capture the magic.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Also, if you don't think they are worth the price, don't buy one. If you really want to spend a lot of money, check out Monette mouthpieces.

Full disclosure: I have a 1 1/2 G Mount Vernon mouthpiece. But when I got it, Bach was in Mount Vernon.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

EriKon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:01 am Okay, so this is something that I just don't understand:
Why are those so expensive besides of the fact that they're vintage and rare? I see those going away for 400 - 500$ regularly... Let's compare it to other stuff: If you buy a mp from Doug you'll pay sth like 200$. The stuff from Doug that I've played so far has been great and honestly I can't imagine any improvement that would be worth to double the price. In addition, I have a wonderful Schilke 51 for large bore instruments which I bought for like 100€ some time ago.
So, question is: What is it that justifies such a price for those pieces? And what does they have what other pieces don't have?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer while browsing through the older topics.
Are they really going for $400-500, or are they just listed at that price?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

brassmedic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 am
EriKon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:01 am Okay, so this is something that I just don't understand:

Are they really going for $400-500, or are they just listed at that price?
Yesterday a 1½G went for more than 400$.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

That one on Facebook? Looked like the listing just disappeared. I never saw it marked as sold.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

brassmedic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:12 pm That one on Facebook? Looked like the listing just disappeared. I never saw it marked as sold.
Yep. It sold. I am in contact with the seller. A great guy I trust. He's also on here.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened to that.
CuriousKen

Post by CuriousKen »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 am But when I got it, Bach was in Mount Vernon.
Outstanding. One of the best lines I've seen going all the way back to the old forum!

Return to “Mouthpieces”