GB 1 7/16 vs Griego Hecht Audition 1.25

musicofnote

GB 1 7/16 vs Griego Hecht Audition 1.25

Post by musicofnote »

I'm a long time Wedge player, using a Wedge 110G Gen II and 90% happy with it. The Wedge system was instrumental in "fixing" a slight problem I had in the upper register, left over from my bad-old trumpet days, of "smiling and pressing" up high, especially going from the middle to the upper register. With the Wedge, I've now got a usable range from pedal F (D on a good day) up to 3rd space treble c. And no more smiling/pressing. My only weakness is a bit of problems going from the mid-register into the single paddle register. Sometimes the lower note either doesn't speak or cracks upwards after 3-4 seconds. And/OR this single paddle register, the initial attacks seem slow and imprecise. Double-paddle register is better. My prime example is the Sachse F major section that comes down from middle b-flat to low f - G -f - E - E-flat, F - D and then up again. These speak slowly and thus seem imprecise compared to the low D and the arpeggion going back up. Bordogni tuba/bass-bone lyric exercises have been a terrific help. Wish I'd run into them years earlier.

On a hunch, I bought a Greg Black 1 1/2 Medium and this improved the slotting in this single paddle register, gave me a more expansive, overtone rich sound throughout, but seemed a tad small. Plus the plating on the mouthpiece was defective, so sent it back to the seller for a refund. I then ordered and received a Greg Black 1 7/16 and am working my way into it.

In between these two I tried for a short time (from Thommen, with their 30day trial scheme) a Griego Hecht Audition 1, which turned out to simply be too large for me. But the same piece as a 1.25 might fill the bill. Might.

So my questions:
1) Has anyone tried a side-by-side comparison of the Greg Black 1 7/16 with the Griego Hecht Audition 1.25? Impressions, comments???
2) Does anyone have either the Greg Black 1 7/16 OR the Griego Hecht Audition 1.25 and your impressions, both positive and negative.

Thanks in advance.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
ZacharyThornton

Re: GB 1 7/16 vs Griego Hecht Audition 1.25

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I have played both. Very different mouthpieces and hard to compare. The easiest thing to look at is the bore size… .295 in the 1 7/16 and .312 on the Hecht model. That is a huge difference. How they play against each other? That is up to your ears.

Return to “Mouthpieces”